Work Hours - One Shot

AN: So someone requested to do oneshot for this story. The rest that follow after will also be one shots. Let me know if you have any ideas that you'd like to see

The first couple of months had been pure bliss. Lena had actually taken some time off from L-Corp so she could go on a vacation with you before you started working at the hospital. She knew from experience that the first few years were nonstop work as you tried to gain experience.

She hadn't been wrong when you hardly had time to spend with her due to your crazy schedule. Lena tried to make it work, adjusting her work schedule to yours but it was near impossible. There was only so much she could do at night and so she eventually switched back to her regular hours. Meaning that whenever you would come from your shift, Lena would be waking up to go to work. The two of you would only spent 10-20 minutes together whenever one of you had come home.

"Lena? Where you paying attention?"

"Huh? Oh, I'm so sorry Kara. I've just been having a lot in my mind."

Kara knows exactly what has been going on through Lena's mind. She placed her food on the table and scooted closer to her.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"I really don't."

"It'll help you feel better."

"I really don't think talking about how I barely spend any time with my wife will help. This is something that talking doesn't fix."

"Lena, communication is important. I'm sure the two of you got so used to being alone and never readjusted to living with each other that you had forgotten to share."

"That's not it Kara. We both talk about how we hardly spend any time together and yet none of us have tried any solutions."

Kara felt useless. It sucked not being able to come up with a way to solve both of your problems.

"I'm sure it'll work itself out. If not, Supergirl will just have to talk with her."

Lena chuckles softly and shakes her head.

"Hardly necessary but thank you Kara."

"Anytime."

X

You knew living like this was no way to do so. You married Lena because you wanted to spend your time with her and yet months after your honeymoon, neither of you have been able to sleep together.

Wanting to fix this entire situation, you began to talk to your boss. Telling how you were more than ready for the day shift. He tried telling you that you weren't ready as your full year hadn't been complete, but he couldn't disagree that your work showed that you were ready. Eventually he agreed to the switch, telling you it would be a week before they found your replacement.

During that week, you had spent it planning a romantic dinner with Lena. You had bought all kinds of flowers to fill her office to surprise her on the morning of the start of your day shift. Jess had gotten specific instructions to keep her until the office so you could set up the roof like you had done so when you proposed.

"Jess, I don't understand why you're keeping me here. I've finished everything for the week. I'm ready to head home. Don't you want me to go home?"

Jess looks down to her phone when she receives your message.

"Actually, I think you should head to the roof. There's a certain someone waiting for you up there."

Lena can't make the elevator go any faster as she impatiently waits for it to land on the roof. She's in for a surprise as she sees the amount of decorating that you had done. Candles, flower petals and all kinds of flowers were decorating the roof. The scene in front of her made her start to tear up.

"Oh no. I'm so sorry."

"I didn't mean to make you cry."

"You didn't. I was just so overwhelmed. I love my surprise. Thank you."

You place your hands on her waist, looking down at her.

"I wanted to apologize to you. For making you suffer all those months. It should've never happened."

"(Y/n).... It was your work. I understood that you needed to work those long hours."

"I know and I'm still sorry. This is my way to thank you for sticking with me. Well this is just the beginning. I'm going to make it up to you."

"You don't have to do any of that. This is all very appreciated but I just want you by my side."

"And I will. I promise. No more night shifts."

"No more night shifts."

Kara was silently crying as she watched the scene in front of her. It was all so romantic and she just wished to have something as beautiful as what the two of you had.

"Wait do you hear that?"

Lena pulls away from the kiss to turn around to see what the noise was.

"Kara?! What are you doing?"

Kara gives the two of you a shy wave.

"I just wanted to see your reaction. I'm sending the pictures to you later tonight. I'll leave you alone now."