S P E C I A L C H A P T E R

Dedicated to :just_rex14
A special chapter to commemorate 1,000 reads

A sneak peek to Diaz and Star's future

"Why so lonely?" a familiar voice chimes and I whip my head in a heartbeat.  My eyes twinkle and I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. "I wouldn't be lonely if you came here a little bit early."

He rubs the nape of his neck, looking at a far distance. I couldn't help but widen my smile. He's always like this when he's embarrassed or sorry that it's cute. "Sorry, Star. The cafe needed some extra hand since a co-worker of mine was sick."

I wave him off. "I'm just kidding. You're as tense as ever." He takes a seat beside me and pats down his pants. "So how's life? I mean, college and stuff like that."

I inhale a deep breath and let if off with a sound. "It's stressful. I regret skipping my grades now," he chuckles then eyed me seriously. "Star, I really missed you."

Suddenly saying that takes me by the edge and my heart drums so loud that I could it beating from the outside. My cheeks steamed hot and I refuse to look at him when I'm this vulnerable. "Why so? You can just visit anytime."

"Well, I miss you because I miss the kid who'd be such a brat. The kid who says hurtful things," he grins while his eyes sink and turns into a smiling dog. "You can never find anyone like that anywhere."

I lightly punch his shoulder. "You're rude, aren't you? Plus I'm not a kid, I'm sixteen," he ruffles my hair and it feels so right when his fingers carress me. "--I'm not a child Diaz, geez. Can't you see me like a woman now?"

Silence engulfs and his petting me halts. "Anyway, have you met new friends with that sour attitude of yours?"

Deep inside me, I wanted to shout at him. Say hurtful words that I don't mean and scream right there what I really felt. Seeing him always dodge the question and tries to brush it off always makes me weaken, when I'm here patiently waiting.

But I also knew why he wouldn't answer. Because he doesn't know what to answer anyway. His answer would be a path changing between us. But I can't just be kept silenced here, playing like we're merely kids--if he even sees me as a woman, than just a kid he used to pick fights on.

"Are you really underestimating me? I'm perfectly fine and sociable."

He smiles and continues ruffling my head, then pecks a kiss on my cheeks. "Yes, you are."

And all the anger within me fades. I don't understand him. If he's  just leading me on or something, but if this is how he deals with things slowly, then I'll wait--slowly. Even if I turn thirty.

10-4-19