16. Let's get physical

Zach's p.o.v.

The bell finally rung and I released my clenched jaw, letting out a small sigh of relief. I had spent a whole lesson trying not to lash out at the assholes around me. With each quiet whisper, each pair of eyes I had to endure, my patience had gotten thinner and thinner.

Why did people care so much how I'd react to someone sitting in Daniel's seat? Why did they care so much what I'd say, or what I'd do...
It didn't even concern me. So what if someone sat at what used to be his desk? I was fine with that... right?

Well truthfully, something didn't sit quite right with me about it. I couldn't help but feel... sad about it? Annoyed? I guess I hated it so much because the second someone took his place, it made it all more real. It was like a big, bold sign screaming 'Daniel's gone.'

He's gone, nothing will change that... but now he's being replaced, and as everything about him is slowly replaced with something else, he's fading from the minds of everyone around me. He's being forgotten.

I'm scared that I'm the only one still hanging on to Daniel, and one day everyone will have moved on and I'll still be remembering where he sat, or what he wore, or the words he spoke...

I opened the door to my locker, looking for my gym clothes. It sucked that I had to start participating again - last week my mum called the school and told them I wasn't allowed to use my doctor's note to get out of participating in gym anymore. All I could do now was hope I wasn't in a class full of jerks. I still remember that day in gym, when Daniel stood up for me...

1 and 1/2 years ago, March 13th...

"Daniel, I don't wanna play dodgeball, I'm scared!" I whined as I clung on to his arm. He loosened my grip on him and instead laced our fingers together. "I promise I'll protect you" he cooed, a sweet smile on his face. I buried my face into his shoulder, trying to hide the fact my face had turnt a deep shade of red. Daniel laughed at how silly I was, kissing my forehead. "You're so cute" he whispered into my ear, sending a shiver down my spine. His voice had an effect on me like no other.

We walked into the indoors gym hall, joining the rest of our class in the middle. We tried to be subtle about our hand holding but after receiving a few dirty looks I decided to let go. I didn't want Daniel to be upset about me letting go, but I also didn't want him to get hurt by someone because of me.

"Alright, now that we're all here I'll start to divide you into two teams. Mark, you're team captain of right side. Eben, go stand on the left. You'll be the second team captain."

The gym teacher started dividing the class, and I began to get nervous when he got near to me and Daniel. What if we weren't in the same team?? I'd just about die - from being pelted to death with balls!! And not not the good kind!

"Daniel, you go on the right side and Zach on the left" The gym teacher ordered. As soon as those words left his mouth my heart stopped. Oh no, today would be the day I die. Daniel shook his head, patting my shoulder. "Don't worry Zach, you stay here. I'll figure this out."