19. Class fight

Jack's p.o.v.

"We're done for the day, go change" Jonah commanded, gesturing for everyone to leave.

I gently placed a hand on the small of Zach's back. At first he flinched at the touch. I debated removing my hand, but decided against it when I noticed his tense body relaxing in to it. He made no attempt to remove himself from my touch.

We walked all the way back to the locker room in a comfortable silence, but as we approached I noticed Zach becoming nervous as we entered. I soon understood why, as weird looks were directed our way. Zach awkwardly shifted, subtly pulling away from me and causing my hand to drop by my side.

Zach looked over at me, a sympathetic look in his eyes. I could tell he was worried I might have interpreted his actions in the wrong way - as if he was embarrassed about being seen with me or something. I gave him a knowing smile and a short nod to show him I understood his actual intentions.

He let out a small breath of relief and turned around to get changed. I noticed that for the whole time he was in the changing room he faced the wall and made a particular effort not to face or look at anyone. Maybe he was scared the other guys in the room might be weird about him cause he's gay...

I let out a disheartened sigh. No one should be made to feel like that - scared of that kind of judgement. He shouldn't have to act differently just because he's not into girls. It doesn't change the fact that he's a normal guy just like anyone else.

Once I'd finished changing I grabbed my bag and headed out to lunch, but I didn't manage to get far by the time the yelling started. I stopped in my tracks, hearing faint yells coming from the changing rooms. Curious, I jogged back to the doors and pushed them open.

"Is something wrong with Zachy-wacky?" Mark sneered. He had Zach backed up into the lockers behind him, his back pressed against the blue metal doors. "Were you too scared to join my team now that you don't have that stupid boyfriend of yours to hide behind? Maybe if we're lucky enough you'll end up just like Daniel... people like you don't deserve to live" he viciously hissed. Zach flinched, repulsed as Mark spat in his face.

This was enough to send me into a full rage. My judgement clouded as my mind turned dark - no sense penetrated my dark thoughts. I charged at Mark, shoving him into the changing room lockers behind him just as he had done Zach.

I stepped forward, closing most of the space between us. "The fuck you say?" I asked, my words dripping like poison. Without thinking, I slapped him hard across the face. He whimpered at the pain, raising a hand to his red cheek. "HUH! Not so big now, Are you, little bitch?" I yelled.

Mark tried to push me away, but I grabbed his wrists and pinned them above his head. I took this opportunity to knee him in the balls, and an estranged yelp fell from his lips.

Before I had the oppertunity to do any more, I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist and weakly try to pull me away. I turned around, my eyes dark and still full of rage, but they softened at the sight of Zach's frightened eyes meeting mine. Finally, some sense started to seep back through into my mind.

Realising what I was doing, I abruptly let Mark out of my grip. I shook my head, trying not to think about what I'd done. I looked around the locker room, and noticed a silent, shocked crowd had formed in a circle around the fight. Well this doesn't feel familiar at all...

Great. I'd probably earned myself a reputation and gone back to square one. No one's gonna forget this.

Casting my eyes down, I pushed past people to leave. Today had been beyond shit, and I couldn't bear to spend another second in this god damn school. I walked down the hallway, needing to leave this school.

I heard footsteps pattering behind me,  getting closer. I ignored them, supposing it was just a random person, or maybe even Mark. At this point, I really couldn't care who it was. Well, that was until I felt a familiar gentle hand on my shoulder.

I turned around, looking at Zach. His eyes didn't meet mine, as if he was too nervous to look at me. He didn't say a word, and so I turned back around and continued walking, annoyed.

"Wait" he called out after me. I simply rolled my eyes, ignoring him. "Jack, get your ass back here!" He yelled. I stopped in my tracks, surprised. That was probably the most out there thing he'd ever said to me.

I sighed, slowly turning around. "You got something to say?" I tiredly asked. He took a few steps towards me to close the distance.

He took a deep breath, finally meeting my eyes. "Why?" He breathed out. Why? Really, That's what he had to say? I groaned.

"Honestly Zach, I'm not sure I know myself anymore. I thought you were a cool person, I guess. I really liked you. I tried and tried with you, but I guess I  shouldn't have tried so much because all you do is push me away and avoid me. You've probably said more words to me today then the whole time I've known you combined. I don't know why you keep doing this to me. If you hate me and want me to leave you alone, just tell me."

Zach blinked at me in disbelief, trying to process my words. When I saw that he wasn't going to say anything, I turned once again to leave, but he grabbed my wrist to stop me.

"No Jack, wait, I'm sorry. I don't hate you, I swear. I just... I know I've been avoiding you, but I do it so that you don't get mixed up into the shit show that is my life. By trying to help me all you've done is gotten yourself on Mark's bad side - that's what I've been wanting to protect you from."

I rolled my eyes. "It's a bit late for that" I muttered. Zach sighed. "I know. This is the exact reason why I tried to stay away from you" he pointed out. I hated to admit it, but he had a point. I guess I could respect his intentions, but that didn't mean he was justified in ignoring me for all this time.

"Remember the first time we met, where you told me to stay away and forget about you? And do you remember that time at the party where I ignored your advice and helped you anyways?" I questioned. Zach averted his gaze, nodding. "Do you know why I did that?" I pushed.
Zach stayed silent. "I did it because I don't care."

Zach's eyebrows knitted together in confusion. I shook my head, laughing. "I don't care what you say will happen to me. I don't care about Mark, or whatever the fuck he thinks of me. The only thing I wanted was you."

Zach's eyes widened at my last sentence, and I immediately jumped to correct myself. "I mean like to be friends with you - not like to own you or something, or anything else that might suggest..." I trailed off, my cheeks tinting red.

Zach let out a small chuckle, but soon his laughter died down and a more serious look overtook his face. "I'm sorry." Zach whispered. "I know you said you didn't care, but I did. I can't stand seeing someone I actually like being hurt and knowing it's my fault..." he trailed.

My heart skipped a beat at his words. Someone I actually like.
"So, you don't hate me?" I joked, letting out a small chuckle. Zach playfully rolled his eyes. "No, Jack. I don't hate you." I gave him a triumphant smile.

"So, now that the damage with Mark is done, how about you stop running away from me like I've got some sort of contagious disease?" I asked hopefully. Zach smiled. "I guess it couldn't hurt to know Mr. Avery the noodle-liking man." Zach mumbled.
"Even though it's stranger danger and you're probably just luring me in to kill me" he added on, raising an eyebrow skeptically."

"You're hard to please, Herron."
Zach nodded in response, not denying it. "Hard to please, maybe. But I guess for you I'll make an exception. I swear, Avery, if I end up dead at the bottom of some sewer because of you I will not be amused!"

I gave him a wide smile. "Great."