Alec Newbury- wasted love

inspired by St Elmo's Fire '85

Alec had a very complex relationship with the concept of cheating. 

As an extreme non-commital, I always knew his relationship with the lovely Leslie would go downhill but I didn't think it would happen that fast. I thought they would've at least gotten married first. 

You see, Alec told me on many occasions that if he got married, he would no longer fuck all of these women because he had something worth holding onto, something to control him. All of the gang, including me, knew that was true. Still, the guilt in his eyes when he'd tell me about the receptionist he screwed from work would win me over just that little bit. I hated the fact I believed in him. 

Not him, but in him. 

I knew so much since Alec couldn't trust the other guys really. I had never been a girl figure in the group, just someone who was there for everyone, someone to organise things, the smart one, the wise one, the one who didn't say much but didn't really have to. It was also the fact that the others were so self-destructive. 

Billy was a handsome, fun guy who would always make your own problem his problem as a part of his caring nature. The problem in that problem was that he had many of them himself, that he was ignoring on purpose. You were his excuse. 

Jules had a lot to deal with and she kept this stuffed behind her charming façade. If you had a problem, she would be fine with it but not if it wasn't life-threatening since her cynical and joking advice would prove less effective in the long run. She's unfortunately dramatic and reckless so she can be unreliable. 

Kirby was cute and probably the least offensive of the bunch but he thinks to make a tense situation okay again you just have to crack a few jokes unless it was a scenario about the woman he was in love with. Dale.

Wendy was too innocent to understand both sides of the argument. To understand a situation such as Alec's you had to understand the true heart of desire you know but she couldn't. She was a virgin. 

Kevin was the most likely candidate being smart, an asshole but too hung up on his own self-pity and also the meaning of life. He was always trying to philosophise every moment and wasn't truly present unless it was all fun and games. Plus, I knew he was in love with Leslie and the reason they broke up was that they fucked. 

Or was that just the result?

Leslie was sweet and smart-mouthed but she was the fucking problem. 

"She just keeps asking for her records back all the time! She keeps waddling over in her heels and sexy skirt and asking me for her things. I mean, I'm trying to get over her here but all I can do is think of excuses to see her!"

And that's exactly why i had to take the blows. 

"So I think of an excuse to see her but what do I see? One of my greatest friends since school in between her fucking legs which might I add was further than I ever got!"

I watch him pace in a fluster across my apartment. His shirt was unbuttoned and he was tugging at it and throwing away pieces of his suit on the ground. He kept running his hands through his dark hair covering some rosy cheeks. I gulped. 

"Look man all you need to do is chill for now. Give it time. Talk to both of them and ask, is it more? If it is you might have to be the bigger mn and step away. This isn't your final year of life and plus love isn't the most important thing."

He huffs, slowing down his pace and standing over me finally. "You're right, you're right."

He admits defeat, understanding my words and calming down. The sofa I'm casually sat on sinks as he joins me by my side, head on my shoulder and tickling my neck. I allow our heads to touch with my lips pouting in a little pity.