Rubies of a Hero

Major character death!!!!!
;-;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The team was finally getting close to the Aurum brain where Pyrrhon was waiting. Fighting enemies relentlessly was frustrating and veering through the maze was confusing. Everyone was at their wits end, but nevertheless, none of them grew tired or weak. Injuries were scattered here and there, but their weakness wasn’t from fighting and walking.

Pit discovered that his and Dark Pit’s flight power returned within a few days, and they could fly again which made advancing much quicker. They made sure their wings didn't touch the blue laser walls as they flew past.

Three hours it had been in their own world since the four left. Palutena attended to the army, but her work was inefficient as her mind was jumbled from the fear of her soldiers. Her orders to the centurions were worded oddly and sometimes didn’t make sense at all. Sometimes it took her a bit to even respond to someone as her mind trailed off about her young captain and son. Viridi stayed put at Palutena’s temple so she could see her Pittoo arrive after the mission, ordering her commanders missions telepathically. Her commands were spot on, but the worried thoughts still whizzed around her brain.

An idea activated in Palutena’s mind despite her thoughts being mixed up and murky from stress. She would escort the centurions and angels over to her temple to greet the warriors from their return. It would help them feel welcomed after going through practical Hell. Once everybody returned, she could communicate with them once more and extract them from which ever portal they exited from. And everybody would be waiting there for them!

A smile molded on her face. It felt weird to have her face shaped that way after frowning so much.

~

“I think we're close to the Aurum brain now!” Ivy said hopefully.

“So you're not doubting me anymore?” Pittoo teased. But his tone seemed kinder and more joking, no longer irritated as they were at last reaching their destination.

Enemies approached the heroes. They were called Claxises, and they almost looked like giant swords. The “blade” was jagged and bent in a right angle. The sword-sword-like creature was lined with a blazing red lava pattern. There were four Claxises ready to charge.

“A Claxis will attack with energy spheres, heat seeking missiles or they can even just straight up cut you,” Pittoo explained.

“Man, I hated these guys,” Pit hissed. “When one attacks, every other creature near it attacks in unison to it.”

“Let’s just take them down!” Ivy cheered, pulling out her ore club. The large weapon was made from clumps of rocks and coal, and a single bright orange eye peeked from between the minerals. The handle glowed with a green crystal. Dark Pit’s eyes widened with shock and envy at the glorious weapon.

“How many weapons do you have?” he cried.

“When it comes to weapons, I have and have mastered all.” This only made the raven haired angel more jealous, his wicked side still relatively active.

The Claxises began to attack with their missiles, all attacking in perfect unison. Despite this, nobody had trouble dodging for each of them were so nimble. Whenever there was an opening, any one of them fired at will.

“We're down to two,” Markus said, not even breaking a sweat. “Almost the--”

Markus was interrupted by sheer, bloody pain. One of the Claxises snuck up behind the blonde and sliced off his wings, cutting his shoulder blades open. As an angel, the wings were connected to the soul, which was made up of angelic energy. Without the wings attached to the soul, the energy dissolves and is completely erased off of the face of the universe. Any energy, especially evil energy, could easily replace the former angel soul. An angel is truly vulnerable without their wings in place.