Chapter Twelve:

I walked down the whole hallway of the South Wing following it until I reached a closed door. I could hear someone talking through the heavy wooden door. It was undoubtedly Genna. She was talking to someone else. It was a voice I didn't realize; one that was muffled, enchanting, and dark. 

"I just really detest being here," Genna whined, "I don't like the atmosphere. I miss Vale Heights."

"It'll be okay," the male voice responded, "Once this situation ends, you'll be back there before you know it." 

"I wish you could stay." I imagined a large lipped pout on her porcelain face. 

"You know if I got caught," the voice responded, "A little war could unleash."

"Don't make me laugh," she responded, "My father is too worried about my brother becoming king to notice what's going on under his nose."

What? "Well," the male responded, "Nothing against your kind, but dogs can only focus on one thing at a time. An independent spirit rose within me; my wolf howled on the inside. I would have busted through the door, but I realized I might have been no match. If I had Dimitri's wolf, nothing would've stopped me. "Speaking of that, I hear something outside."

"Are you sure?" Genna asked.

"Am I sure?" the voice laughed, "You're the werewolf. Aren't you supposed to have the supersonic hearing."

"Fine," she said, "I'll check; you hide in the closet."

Her footsteps echoed closer to the door. I couldn't run, but I couldn't risk being found. I didn't know who or what was behind that door with Genna. I panicked, so I knocked on the door as if I had meant to be found on purpose.

She opened the door promptly and light flooded into the hall. She gave me a malicious, toothy grin, "Hello, play thing. To what do I owe this surprise?" Her emerald green eyes peered into my soul. 

"You said you wished to see me," I responded emotionless.

"Ah!" she exclaimed, tossing her white blonde hair over her shoulder, "You rebelled against my brother. How refreshing! And there I thought you were his puppet!" She laughed snootily.

"No," I refuted, "He didn't tell me I couldn't. 

"I'm still glad you came!" She pulled me into the dimly lit bedroom. She flicked on a light, flooding the space. It was a pale pink with white wooden features, even a flower was painted onto the wall. "I despise this room," she disgustedly retorted. "It's so childish. I'd detest bringing anyone, especially a boy here." She darted her eyes at me to see I had a reaction.

I concealed it as best as I could. "It's pretty cute. It isn't very grown up though."

"Well, I haven't been home since three years ago. I'm sixteen. I thought they'd have changed it at least." Wait, she looked, acted, and presented herself as if she was much older than me. I felft childish that she was my age but transcended her years.

"Sooo..." I really wanted to get out of this room. The porcelain dolls, the lacy curtains, and the closet doors (what was behind it) all weirded me out. 

"So?" she asked, slightly confused. "Oh right, I called you here!" She took a deep breath, "Look, Alicia...I do know your name. I don't want to be here. I don't belong here; these people are my family, but they no nothing about me. Then, when things were becoming alright, I am wisked away from my wonderful life to be here. I want you to know not to get in my way. Believe me, I know how to get what I want. And it would be in your best interest to quit wondering who I was talking to. Now, you can get out and have  day. I don't think you'll be much trouble; all you are is my brother's little toy, something for him to control. Gosh, I hate werewolves." She was oddly upset, and she was rambling...just like her brother did. She knew that I knew something. 

"I am not a toy, nor am I a play thing," I spit back at her with some odd anger that burned inside of me.

"Oh, you're a little fiesty are you? Acting like the peasant you are only makes me more above you and this kind." Who was this girl? I'm sure she wasn't like this before. What had gone wrong?

"You know, even though you don't want to admit it," I responded in a oddly calm voice, "You're more like them than you realize, your family and the peasants."

She growled at me in a low tone, but it matched her higher pitched voice, "Get out of my room."

I obeyed, and when the door slammed behind me, I ran the whole way to our bedroom. My heart was racing, and it physically hurt. I was going to faint. I stopped to breathe in front of the door. I couldn't explain this to him, especially with her down the hall. That same feeling of fear pierced my stomach as it had when she had first arrived. I went inside, and for the first time ever, I locked the door behind me. Dimitri sat up alert with his ears perked like a dog's. 

"Where were you?" he asked.

"I went on a walk," I responded. It wasn't a lie....

He leaned over and pulled me close to him. He could feel my fast beating heart. "What's wrong?" he pressed.

"I  just don't feel good," I responded, telling the truth again, just not the whole truth. "I'll be alright."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," I responded. He didn't ask anymore. He seemed distant again. I didn't want think about it, but my mind wandered to Genna, who was just down the hall with the thing in her closet.