Chapter Nineteen:

Days went by, and no one had seen Genna. Her room was still guarded by two to three guards at a time. The whole castle was no filled with guards, and no one was allowed in or out of anyway. But, the day afterwards was quiet and lazy anyhow. I didn't leave our room all day either so I'm not sure about then. I doubt that she had left; apparently, she had to have a guarded escort everywhere she went. I doubt if I'd leave my room much either. Before, I'd assume that she'd talk with her vampire whom I still didn't know the name of. I was physically exhausted. Getting into an argument anytime was training, but with a mate, it was all the more taxing.

It was an enchantment upon the first mates, we were told, Luna and Lunae, who were so at odds sometimes that the Moon himself put a curse on them so when they fought, they'd be exhausted. So the legend goes, which is one of our histories as told by the Prophet. A pack that was called the "Seeing" appointed a prophet, almost like an alpha, who could see straight into the Moon for prophecies, questions, our history, and other pressing problems. However, the Prophet hadn't been acknowledged for years, even decades. With the mortal religion, especially the belief in Jesus Christ, seeping its way into our culture, their had began a feeling of distrust for the Seeing andhow effective they actually were. The Seeing fled to the safe recesses of the edge of our civilization. There are still a lot of us who would still accept a prophecy with a full heart and caution, but there hasn't been a prophecy since 1917. That long silence was broken the day after the vampire was exiled.

Like I spent the whole day in our room. I didn't need to leave today, because I figured everyone would be on edge for different reasons. The King and Queen because their beloved daughter was found trying to escape with a vampire she had been hiding in her room, the guards because of the new security measures, the maids because they lost some freedom and were accused of knowledge of the vampire, and anyone else for various reasons to name a few. As soon as I woke up, I was surprisingly greeted by an even more surprisingly pleasant Dimitri; he hated the morning, waking up, and all it entailed. He barely ever talked before his shower, which he normally took in the mornings, and getting some tea. Normally, he just grunted or didn't say anything at all. "Morning, beautiful," he said, then he yawned lightly.
"Hi," I said, blushing, "Wow, you're pleasant this morning."
"I'm not a morning person," he stated, then he poked me lightly in the side, "Unlike you. Speaking of you, go take your medication." He hadn't forgotten from last night.
"Uh," I replied, "I'm all out."
"Already taken care of," he said, "You forget that although we're all spread out in this nation, the palace is most equipped and central location."
"Oh right."
"Go on," he said, the smiled, "I'll be here whenever you get back."

I got up and went to the bathroom, and surely enough, like magic, my medication was sitting on the counter like it was an artifact there. I swallowed my two green pills with a Dixie cup of water. I looked in the cracked mirror and didn't feel beautiful like Dimtri had said. I realized I'd been taking too long in the bathroom when Dimitri yelled from the other room, "I'm going to remove all the glass from that mirror, Alicia. I mean it!" He wasn't angry but he more like he was stating a well-known fact. I returned to him and got back on the bed again. We both sat cross-legged on the soft and fluffy white comforter looking at each other, and we both made goofy faces at each other. We looked like children like the children Dimitri was denied being like. He never felt like he'd been denied a childhood, but looking from the outside, he missed out on so much. I looked at him and wondered if he'd ever been just a child; it seemed like he had been almost grown up his whole rigid and regimented life. It was sort of sad, and I thought sometimes about how his own children would be raised. I didn't let it enter my mind that these children would be mine too; I still felt like a eight year old stuck in a sixteen almost seventeen year old's body. This wasn't how I ever imagined life to be. I ended up losing by laughing first, "Fine!" I laughed, "You win!"
"Do I really?" he arched his eyebrow, "I have the funniest looking face. Lovely!" He smiled though. "Do I get a prize?" he joked.
"My presence is your present," I said with mock arrogance.
"I'm okay with that," he said. I surprised him by kissing him; he smiled into the kiss.
"By the way," he said, "How about we spend the day together. I don't want to deal with people."
"Sounds good to me," I replied.

It was dreary outside; there was raindrops sliding down the windowpane. The sky was gray, and outside looked dull. The trees were bare and had been so for awhile. I could hear the wind through the glass and the striking silence that filled the air. I decided to put in my earbuds and listen to music. Dimitri had been gone for a good while now, because even though we were going to spend the day together, he was called off to meet with his father about urgent business. There was never a day or a moment off at anytime, because just when you decided to get comfortable something comes up. I was sort of used to it, but it was annoying. 

Dimitiri came back an hour later with news, "exciting" news. For the first time in a long time, the Prophet had come up with a new prophecy.