7.

We got back later at night after enjoying the company of sine of the natives, a large, warming fire, and laughter. Jonah sat alone, having that troubled look Dmitri had. I quietly sat alone as well, drinking in the whole encounter but mainly watching Jonah.

As soon as we returned home, everyone retreated to their rooms. I first stopped in Bailey's room then snuck past the living room where Jonah was sprawled out on the couch. It felt awkward to be in his room, and it felt empty like the life was sucked out of it. My heart ached and longed to just know we weren't strained. It hurt me to think that why, and I wasn't sure why. He was just some silly boy I just met, but he wasn't. He was some boy I just met physically but felt like I'd known him forever. This was irrational and unreasonable I told myself. Who cared what the old oracle said anyhow. This house was corrupting me, I declared. Yet, I couldn't help but feel it was just the action of me, being broken from the old habits of the castle. It had only been two days; however, I felt like I'd lived here for eternity. I felt like I belonged.

I couldn't sleep, because my mind was racing and heart hurting. I could here stirring in the kitchen; I knew who it was. I wanted to jump out of bed and run to him and explain everything. Eventually, I was so overwhelmed that couldn't hold myself to staying in bed idle for any longer and got up. I crept down the hallway, careful so I could change my mind if I wanted to and retreat. I stood behind him in the kitchen, and he was leaning over the sink with his head in his hands. He sighed deeply. I didn't know what to do, but I wrapped my arms around his middle in a deep and symbolic embrace. He turned around slowly and gave me a confused look. Then he drew me close to him, and I breathed him in, his smell. I felt the softness of t-shirt.

"You know this is why you don't eat breakfast," I joked of his half eaten sandwich, trying to fight back the tears that were welling up in my eyes.

"What's wrong?" he wiped a tear off of my cheek that escaped.

"Everything."

"I doubt it's everything," he replied optimistically.

"I'm just scared and unsure."

"That's life," he said, "it isn't always sunny days, but it is always worthwhile."

"Can I talk to you?"

"Always," he said quietly. "Not here though, c'mon."

He threw the rest of the sandwich in the garbage and placed the chipped ceramic plate in the sink. "What do you need to talk about?" he asked when he shut the door of his bedroom behind him.

"I already have a mate," I blurted out.

He laughed. "Sure, you do."

"I'm not lying!"

"You misunderstood," he said while crossing the room and sitting beside me, "I believe that you think you're right and what your doing is wrong. It's not true."

"It is true. I am mated to the prince actually. I'm sorry it had to be this way."

Jonah continued surely, "He lied to you. He didn't mark you right? Didn't claim you?" I was floored by his remark; how could he discredit his future king? What kind of gumption did he have? "I didn't think so. It's because he couldn't; he knew it too, which," he let out a sigh, "Makes me so mad." I had a twisted and confused look on my face as I didn't say a thong.
"Hear me out; you know you wouldn't have come to talk to me if he was. You never would've left his side if he really was."

"But I love him," I said quietly not looking at Jonah.

"No doubt. I've loved people too, but not like this. Can't you feel the spark between us?"

"Yes," I replied stronger than I expected to be.

"I'm sure you are mine. I've never been surer," he said. He put his hand under my chin and lightly lifted my head up so our eyes met. "You know you have beautiful eyes," he lightly smiled at me with vulnerability that he fully displayed for me. "I would never pressure you to, but please be honest with me. Do you love me?...Do you love me more than him?"

I knew the truth, and it would result in heartbreak. I had never been surer.