Chapter Twenty-One

Once you hit rock bottom, there is no where but up, right? Wrong. You could just end up falling farther through the cracked floor. I had been sitting with my ankles crossed in the library with the Queen for the past few hours. For a woman whose major energy went into planning things that weren't even allowed anymore, she seemed even more busy than usual. I sat there writing in a notebook of my own ideas, poetry, and thoughts. I felt so alone that it's all I had left to feel that loneliness go away. It worked only to the extent that I became so self aware of the fact that I was friendless and alone. One girl in a huge, cold castle was the thing I was. Dimitri was frustratingly overworked; I barely got to speak two words to him. He'd pace, sit at his desk with his head in his hands, and fell asleep on his desk. He looked like a living corpse; I tried to tell him he couldn't go on like that. I was greeted with yelling or grunting or nothing at all. I had stopped trying. I don't know what to do, so I did nothing.
He was so stressed out that I didn't know what to. I needed him, but my problems seemed to always take the backseat. They weren't as pressing as the rebellion or the dark forces. Dimitri came into the library with heavy, angry, and arrogant strides. He didn't knock, but instead he flung the door open in a state of rage.
"I need Alicia," he growled at his mother.
She looked shocked and taken aback she replied, "Sure, she can go with you." Dimitri grabbed my arm and pulled me along out of the room with him. I wanted interaction, but I didn't want interaction like this.
"Yes?" I asked.
"It didn't work." He stated this coldly.
"What didn't work?"
"The peace plan...what else! Do you pay attention?" he retorted as he scratched his head.
"Oh geez," I replied not knowing what else to say.
"I hope you're happy. I guess now we're even," he spat. I was shocked and upset.
"What are you talking about?"
"The Rebels killed some of the soldiers who were to deliver the peace plan. Darius included. So I hope you feel better about yourself now that my plan killed someone that I was close to also. Now we're even!" Then, he turned on his heel and strolled away. I didn't say anything, didn't follow him, and didn't do anything. I just stood there in the hallway of his echoing footsteps alone.