Chapter 40: Check Mate

Ventus let out a sigh, he stood up tall, then he turned and faced everyone else. Everyone waited in anticipation for my answer, I looked at them reluctant to share, but I continued on anyways.

"My friends, or, at least they used to be. But that was a long time ago, so long ago. Things were so different back then. Things were normal, until everything went wrong... Because of me. It was my fault, I set everything into motion, because I was taken over by darkness itself. Yet, that darkness had been inside of my heart all along, controlling me. And, I did something that's unforgivable. I killed one of my friends... I killed her for a stupid book!" I began to break down into tears.

I tried to wipe away the tears from my eyes.

"Ven..." Aqua called.

Sora approached me.

"We forgive you Ven. It doesn't matter what terrible things you've done in the past. You are Ventus and you will always be the same to us." Sora wrapped his arms around my shoulders.

I was shocked, I stopped crying and Sora stepped back and gave me a smile.

I didn't know how to feel. I still felt, the guilt. I have to bring everything forward, to get it off my chest. If now isn't the time, then when else will it be?

"It doesn't matter now, they're all gone. I'm the only one left. I don't know how, I don't remember everything. I must have had all these memories all along, I just didn't want to face it. What I've done. I tried to forget. I would have torn myself apart... But, what I do remember is, I loved them all, I loved everyone, my friends... I used to think I was so lonely, but now I have all of you. Even the short amount of time I spent with Hikari, in this realm... Everything counts, you are still all my friends. I can even see the light in the hearts of the Seekers of Darkness. Everyone, no matter how evil we think they are." I spoke.

The wind blew their hair gently. Everyone stood in silence as I spoke. Taking in my words deeply. Then I turned around and faced Vanitas. Ansem still kept his grasp tight around his neck. I felt saddened seeing this. I saw the same emotion I felt on Vanitas's face. I stepped closer to him. He wasn't afraid any longer. Sora reached out his hand but I kept walking. As I got closer Xehanort smirked. I kept my distance. Xemnas and Young Xehanort still held their weapons close to their side. I looked over at Vanitas, then he finally looked up at me.

Why do I always have to see him this way...

"I understand you now. I can feel your emotions, your anger, sadness, confusion, your fear... Even your small moments of happiness. I pity you. You don't understand anything, ever since you were brought into this world. And every time you felt something, you hid it, and covered it up with rage. You're afraid to show how you really feel, because you don't understand anything other than negative emotions... But I see who you really are, behind your scary suit, your dark mask. You're just a scared kid, you're just like me. You're innocent, you just have to be shown the right way." I spoke.

I reached out my hand to him. Vanitas slowly raised his hand, small tears welled up in the corners of his eyes.

I just.... Want him to be free...

"Enough of this." Xehanort grabbed onto Vanitas's arm and pulled him up, out of Ansem's grip.

Xehanort raised the X-Blade in front of Vanitas's heart.

Everyone watched from afar, there was nothing that could be done. But I leapt forward and held onto Xehanorts long coat. That confused him enough to stop him in his tracks. He looked down at me on my knees, grabbing onto the bottom of his coat. Tears filled my eyes.

"Please... Let me say goodbye, to my brother." I begged him.

Xehanort took my request into consideration. He looked down at Vanitas, then at me. "Make it hasty, I will not linger on this moment. This one action will get you nowhere but closer to your demise. Ultimately in the end, everything will be destroyed." Then he lowered the blade and threw Vanitas to the ground.