chapter 1 : Kidnapping

Zhong YiBin was driving during the evening peak period. The cars were densely packed together, the line so long that it seemed as if it was going to reach the sky. The road outside the windshield seemed to be distorted by the fumes of hot air.

“Where are you? Your dad will be home soon, hurry up!” As he opened up the window to take a gulp of air, his mother’s voice traveled from the phone to his ears.

“Got it,” Zhong YiBin frowned and hung up. This was the third time this afternoon. He had no desire to see this so-called father, yet his mother kept on pestering him to return home. Because of her, Zhong Yibin could not fetch Chu Qin after he got off work.

For no reason, his heart felt irritated. Looking at the time, the program should have finished screening already. Zhong Yibin could not resist giving a call.

“Beep-beep—” The long waiting tone eventually passed after a minute. No one picked up and the tone became an anxious ‘didididi’ that caused people feel scared.

Zhong Yibin’s heart lurched. If Chu Qin was still recording the program, his assistant should have helped him to answer the phone. If he had finished recording and his phone was in his hands, why did Chu Qin not answer?

He slowly regained consciousness. He was lying on the cold, hard cement floor, his surroundings peppered with logs of decaying wood and the stench of urine. Chu Qin forced his eyes open. The light was dim and the ground was covered with painted mottled mechanical parts. The graffiti-filled iron shelves were covered with wood. The place looked like an old warehouse.

“Oh, awake?” A coarse voice spoke to him from a position above. Chu Qin was shocked, his bound body instinctively rose up. Even if he wanted to pretend to be unconscious, this reaction made it impossible.

His hands were tied behind his body. Chu Qin struggled to sit up, looking towards the direction of the voice.

The man was built sturdily, with blue and black patterns inked on the muscles of his arm. He could not be considered tall, having an estimated height of not more than 1.8m. He was wearing a deep blue sleeveless top made out of synthetic material. The light illuminated the man from behind, causing his silhouette to be unclear. The only thing that could be made out was his bald head.

Two more accomplices appeared from Bald Head’s back. One of them revealed big yellow teeth and laughed, “This pretty boy actually looks better than he does on television.”
Evidently, these kidnappers knew who he was.

Chu Qin quickly thought over his situation. After he had finished recording the program, he had made his way to the underground parking lot of the television station before being flung into a van. Although he was in the entertainment circle, the number of people he had offended were few. The biggest possibility was money.

“You guys should know as well, I am a public figure,” Chu Qin’s voice was very nice to hear, clear and magnetic. Due to professional habits, the cadence of his voice was smooth, making him sound calm. “Me going missing must have caused a great hubbub. I can send for someone to deliver the amount you want.
As long as you guarantee my safety, you can quickly leave.”

“Oh…” A fist hit Chu Qin without warning. He could not help but shrink into his body, letting out a pained sound. Bald head kneaded his fist, laughed coldly and rejected Chu Qin’s offer.

“As expected of the golden microphone of Shengshi TV, really nice voice,” Big Yellow Teeth walked to Chu Qin, grabbed his jaw and slammed it on the ground repeatedly while laughing. He smirked and glanced at his crotch. “Wanna try this brother’s golden microphone?”
The malicious intentions concealed by this statement triggered alarms in Chu Qin’s heart.