Chapter 30: Shopping

The familiar scene and background music matched those of what he clicked on by chance this morning – the movie that wasn’t suitable for children!
“This…” The roomful of higher-ups were somewhat stunned.
Weren’t they discussing filming a turbid palace drama? Why was it a modern school drama… Eh, it seemed to be a suspenseful crime drama…

“Stop!” Before that vulgar uncle revealed his true colors, Zhong Yibin quickly yelled for the video to be stopped. What a joke, he wouldn’t need to mingle with them again if this was released in front of the Group’s superiors! Secretary Jin convulsed with fear as he pressed the pause button without delay, swiftly stopping the video.

Zhong Yibin glared at him and coughed lightly, speaking in a gentle and cultured manner to everyone, “My apologies, my secretary selected the wrong video. Let’s first take a look at the analysis of the market prospects, the sample clip will be shown later on.”

Due to time constraints in the morning, Secretary Jin didn’t check whether the video was correct. His face was pale and, in his heart, he knew that he was done for. In order to atone for his crime, he speedily contacted his colleagues and requested for them to send the sample clip over as soon as possible.

In the past, TV dramas were widely known for their high quality. Even if the technology during that time was not up to par, a lot of heart was put into the other aspects. In order to film a good drama, some film crews would spend a few years working on it. Just like the case of the previous adaptation of <A Dream of Red Mansions [1] >, countless experts on Redology [2] were consulted to come up with the script and the actual writing was done by a literary giant in the present age. Even before the cast started filming, they were required to learn the guqin [3] , chess, painting, calligraphy and ancient etiquette.

In the current age of fast-food culture, filming one drama over many years was impossible but filming with one’s heart was still doable. The turbid palace drama had to be filmed according to the relevant ceremonies and social customs. There could not be any compromise with regards to the clothing, props, script and etiquette.

“A thunder drama’s profits will be limited to the money brought in from broadcasting it. Since there is no appeal in re-watching it, no other TV stations will be willing to purchase the right to re-broadcast,” Zhong Yibin clicked open a financial analysis chart. “Although our work must be of high quality, this drama does not have any war scenes and only utilizes indoor frames.

. Looking at the production alone, the costs are not high. Assuming four satellite channels are willing to purchase the rebroadcast rights, Shengshi will not only break even in terms of production costs but also rake in advertising profits…”

“The most important point is that…” Zhong Yibin raised his head and his eyes landed on Uncle Ning, who was seated beside his brother. Suddenly, he realized that these shareholders were most concerned about the stock price, not the profits that the business would make. “This drama will be filmed under Shengshi’s brand; hence it represents Shengshi. Should we produce a drama of exceptional quality, our image in the eyes of the public will be raised another notch and our stock price will most likely rise!”

The moment this phrase was said, a few board members instantly showed interest.

Although there were a few hiccups, his case was passed smoothly. Not only did Zhong Yibin attain sufficient funding for a high-quality costume drama, he also obtained capital to purchase other premium goods.

“Yibin has really matured, you’re more like your brother!” Ning Ze patted Zhong Yibin’s shoulder and said while smiling from ear to ear.

Hearing this, Zhong Jiabin frowned slightly. His family’s brother detested others comparing the two of them. Till today, Zhong Yibin was not close to Uncle Ning because Uncle Ning had uttered a similar statement when he was young. He chose not to make use of the large resource close to home and instead sought to develop his connections in the faraway Old Waves.