Chapter 25: Conspiracy

Chu Qin sat on the chair opposite the office desk and slowly drank tea. He didn’t interrupt the station chief’s rambling but instead looked down at the tea leaves in the cup. The curly Biluochun [1] leaves gradually unfolded within the liquid tea.

This station chief who was nearing the age of fifty had lived abroad in his early years and derived great pleasure from showing off his experience in studying overseas. During those years, those who were able to study abroad were very capable.
In order to express his status as one who had studied abroad, black tea was brewed everyday in the office. Western black tea contained sugar and was harmful to the throat. Chu Qin never drank it so every time he came over, the secretary would make him a cup of Biluochun.

“Let him stand at a corner and watch when I record then. I will go over to watch his program when I’m free.” Chu Qin put down his cup of tea and smiled at the station chief.

Station chief Zhang was dug out from a local TV station and the superiority of TV media was ingrained deep into his bones. He didn’t look highly upon online media. Chu Qin could still accept his remarks on the online matter but if it was about letting him guide Chen Jiming, it would be overstepping his boundaries.
This was not an entertainment company but a television station. Chu Qin was also not a middle-level executive and had no obligations to mentor the younger generations. Letting Chu Qin do this was nothing more than station chief Zhang’s act of currying favor with Chairman Chen, going so far as to involve him.

Station chief Zhang froze for a moment. By the time he waited for Chu Qin to watch Chen Jiming’s program, the dishes would already be cold. They were about to embark on a new program and Chu Qin was even playing a leading role, how could he have the time to wander about. But there was nothing wrong with this statement, so he could only nod and agree, “Then I’ll have to trouble you.”

Chu Qin smiled wordlessly and left the station chief’s office. The piece of paper he took out from his pocket was the proof that he was given the last time he visited the police station. He had yet to pass it to the human resource department. He dialed the number printed on it for the police station accordingly, “Hello, I’m looking for Xiao Gao.”

The small police officer Gao Yunlong was the one who handled his documents of proof the previous time.

“Ah, it’s like this, there are still some documents that require the police’s signature. The police station’s side…” Chu Qin said in an embarrassed tone and was silent for two minutes.

The small police officer instantly made up for Chu Qin’s awkwardness. Their attitude towards Chu Qin the other time when he was at the police station was really too unfriendly, he too felt that his colleagues had went overboard. Hence, he rushed to say, “I’ll go out to sign for you then.”

Chu Qin’s tone immediately lightened, “Thank you so much, I’ll be waiting for you on the first floor of Fragrant Fisherman Courtyard at noon. I’ll treat you to a meal at the same time.”
Fragrant Fisherman Courtyard was close by the police station. It was a little far from the TV station but was not too far.

“The meal isn’t necessary…” Xiao Gao hurriedly refused.

“I’m only free during the noon lunch period and have to record in the afternoon. You can treat accompanying citizens to eat as doing a good deed,” Chu Qin said in a relaxed manner, before hanging up.

At noon, Chu Qin appeared punctually at the first floor of the Fragrant Fisherman Courtyard.
Sitting at the last booth overlooking the window, he waved towards the small police officer who rushed in in a flustered manner.

Afraid of causing trouble, Xiao Gao specially changed his attire before going over.

Chu Qin handed the menu to Xiao Gao to let him choose. The other party continuously waved his hands, so Chu Qin took the menu back while smiling. After asking about Xiao Gao’s tastes, he ordered four dishes and a soup. Chu Qin often came to this place. Whenever his colleagues couldn’t stand the station’s boxed food, they would come over for a work meal. The dishes were homemade and weren’t expensive, allowing him to invite the upright small policeman over..