11

‘Is that my book that you’re using?’  I heard Darling ask Kevin.

‘Yes, you weren’t around so I asked Natalie.’
Immediately, I heard footsteps coming toward me.

‘Who told you to give him the book? Is the book for you? Why do you want to disturb my life? Are you a witch?’

‘You weren’t around so he asked me to take it for him, isn’t he your friend? What is so wrong about me giving your book to your friend? I’m sorry for giving the book to him.’ I told him and started packing my things so I can go home.

‘Natalie, I’m sorry I didn’t know you’re fighting, what happened to you guys?’ Kevin apologized to me and asked at the same time.

‘Don’t worry I’m okay. He’s your friend and I don’t know what his problem is so ask him. Olsen please let’s go home.’ That day, Desmond followed his mom home.

‘Good morning’ I greeted as I entered into the classroom. Today is a new day and my mind has been made up, I won’t be brooding over someone who doesn’t want me.

‘Good morning’ those present as at the time responded. Yesterday was very hectic but I refuse to think about it.
‘Hi Gold, how are you doing?’ Desmond asked as he is about to sit down.  “The nerve of him, he doesn’t even have a sense of shame.”

‘I miss you Nate.’ Hmmp he can talk all he wants but I’m not listening to him, not after yesterday. I can turn a blind eye to everything that he’s done to me but not that.

It’s been almost two weeks and I’m still giving him the silent treatment. I talk with everyone even the girls who call themselves my friends who easily flirt with him.

Today, there’s a P. T. A meeting for the final year students because we will be writing our final paper that is the B.E.C.E next week. Very soon, I’ll be off to senior high school.

My aunt and I were talking after the meeting when my friend Rose came along. ‘Good afternoon mom’

‘Good afternoon Rose, how are you doing?’

‘I’m fine and you?’

‘Good.’

Rose left after a while and I saw her talking to Desmond I saw him pointing to my direction but I turned my back to him to block my aunt from seeing him. She’s been asking him for the past one month.

‘Where is Desmond?’
There she goes again asking of him.

‘He’s gone out for lunch break.’ I lied. Almost like a miracle, Rose came back again.

‘Natalie should I tell her?’ she asked me swinging her body side by side.

I knew she was referring to what has happened between Desmond and me, but I know Rose, she’ll say it to favor Desmond she sees him as her junior brother even though we’re all of the same age.

‘What is it Rose? Tell me’ my aunt prompted.

‘It’s nothing don’t mind her’ I tried to dismiss the case.

‘I’ll tell her, mom she’s not talking to Desmond, almost two weeks now. I’ve finished my job I’m leaving.’ And she left.

When she got to the class, Desmond gave her a thumb up and came out. ‘Good afternoon mom’ he greeted her.

‘Good afternoon. I learnt you’re not in talking terms.’

‘Mom it’s not me please, it’s Natalie’

‘Was that why you told me he wasn’t around? Now hug him and say sorry to him.’ She ordered

‘But you don’t know what he did.’

‘I don’t want to know, you’re talking to him because he’s your friend and I don’t want to hear such a thing again.’

‘Ok.’ We hugged each other and instead of letting me go, he was still holding on to me. So I pushed him away from me. 

‘Thank you mom’ Desmond said as he held my hand in his. We said our goodbyes to her and went to class.
I might not be happy with what he did but I’m happy he’s regretted and has apologized even though I was told to do so.

I don’t know what tomorrow will have for us but I hope we get to see what today has brought us. I missed him.

********†***********†***************
Love,
Anything gold.