Ever Wasted

A kiss that is never tasted, is forever and ever wasted.

- Billie Holiday

Nope, nope, nope, nope... Ew, nope... Evie thought to herself, throwing her clothes around the floor of her room carelessly as she frantically looked for the right thing to wear. She was going out with Spencer... alone. He had said it wasn't a date and she had agreed, but that's exactly what it felt like it was. Did he feel the same way?

She closed the second drawer she ripped through, still coming up empty handed. She had to be casual, but not too casual. She had to be toned down, but still seem like she cared. It was a cafe and bookstore... she always had work clothes and then lounging around at home clothes. There wasn't a lot of in between. She'd have to go out shopping with JJ sometime. She couldn't even remember the last time she had went on a shopping binge.

Finally, while desperately scrambling around her room, Evie found a tight fitting gray sweater in her closet. She pulled it over her head, groaning as it messed up her hair. She already had black jeans on so she added a red infinity scarf for a little color. The make-up she put on wasn't too drastic. She used her liquid liner and her "nude" color eyeshadow and then considered lip gloss. What if Spencer wanted to kiss her? Well he hadn't the other night, why would he this time? He did seem sorry... maybe he was only nervous. Ok, so no lip gloss just in case.

The door bell sung as soon as Evie had brushed through her hair. She swore under her breath and nearly dove into the shoe boxes in her closet, looking for the right ones. She pulled out her knee high brown boots and hopped and stumbled around her room while trying to keep her balance and pulling them on. The last thing she grabbed was her black button down jacket before she opened the door.

**********************************************************************************************************

She was absolutely gorgeous. She always was, but Spencer could tell that she had especially tried to look nice for the occasion. He had previously observed that she only wears her liquid liner for special events as well as accessories such as her scarf. He adored that she had considered this a special occasion. She wasn't the only one. He had spent much too much time looking for the right thing to wear until he gave up and called JJ. She was excited about their "just co-workers outing", and gladly helped.

"Hey, I forgot my money in my bag. I'll be-"

"Woah, woah, woah. Who said anything about you paying for anything?" Spencer asked, frowning at her. "There's no way I'm letting you pay for anything when you're with me."

Evie smiled at him with adoration, making his heart flutter with excitement.

"Such a gentleman, Dr. Reid." she said in a pretend sophisticated voice. He chuckled and waited until she shut her door and locked it behind her. He held out his arm and played along.

"Then after you, Ms. Lawrence." he said as she shot him an amused glance. Evie linked her arm with his and together they walked to the car.

***********************************************************************************************************

As soon as they walked in the bookstore, he smiled while watching Evie's eyes go wide. She smiled like a kid seeing presents on Christmas morning. He could've sworn her eyes seemed to sparkle right then as she observed the walls completely covered with books. The ceilings were at least twenty feet tall and nearly every inch was covered with stories, biographies, journals and every book imaginable, every wall being just one giant book shelf. Half of the room had a loft above it as a second floor that you could climb the spiral staircase to. The cafe was elevated on a platform with candles flickering softly throughout the atmosphere.