Journey of Recovery

"I think a spiritual journey is not so much a journey of discovery. It's a journey of recovery. It's a journey of uncovering your own inner nature. It's already there."

~Billy Corgan

        "Are you gonna miss it?" Evie asked as she stopped at the light that started turning red. Spencer was in the passenger seat, flying through a book about greek philosophers. They were almost home, finally able to leave the hospital where he'd spent just over a week at. Evie had thankfully stayed throughout the entire thing.

        Spencer looked over at Evie with a confused frown. 

        "Miss what?"

        "You're little hospital dwelling." she said, pulling forward once the light turned green. Spencer chuckled and shook his head. 

        "Nope." he shortly said. "I'll miss cuddling you everyday all day, though." He added in a matter-of-fact voice. He watched as Evie smiled over at him. He was so glad to be going home. He missed having a place to their own. 

        Once they pulled into the parking lot, Spencer felt a warm feeling spread over his body. He finally felt home. He'd missed it so much, he couldn't get fully comfortable in the hospital. No more overly plain foods or constant check ins from doctors. He did save a large stock of Jell-O to take home however, that was currently in the trunk. 

        "Here we are." Evie said, sighed and dropping her hands on her lap when she shut the car off. Spencer smiled and leaned forward. He touched his finger tips to Evie's chin and turned her to face him. Spencer looked into her eyes, eventually trailing them down to her lips before he kissed her. Evie kissed him back gently, wrapping an arm around the back of his neck. Every single one of his kisses with Evie was amazing, but something about this one really hit Spencer. He realized he was so close to never being able to do this again. It made it all the more special. 

        Evie seemed to feel it too. She pulled him in deeper, touching her tongue to his lips for access which he eagerly allowed. Spencer unbuckled his seat belt to move closer to her, never breaking their kiss in the process. Evie softly moaned into him, wrapping both arms around his neck tightly. Spencer could feel the pain starting to spread through his back and chest as he enveloped himself in Evie as much as the car space would allow, but he didn't care. 

        "Mmm... Spence..." Evie mumbled, but he ignored her and continued to kiss. Evie kissed him back, getting lost in it before she retracted again, a smile playing on her lips. "I don't want to hurt you." she said sadly, rubbing his arm. Spencer frowned at her. 

        "You won't. I promise."

        "Well at least wait until we get to the apartment so I can change your bandages." Evie said, popping her car door open so as not to leave room for objections. Spencer whined and hurried to open his as well, rushing around the car to lift Evs off her feet before she could even close her door. 

        "Jeez, Spence." She grunted while wrapping her arms around his neck for support. "You definitely are feeling better." 

        Spencer's back was burning as well as the parts of his chest that he held Evie against. It wasn't unbearable however. He smiled up at her since she was taller than him when he held her. She smiled back and leaned down to kiss his forehead. 

        "Love you." Spencer whispered. 

        "Love you more." Evie whispered. Spencer chuckled like it was the most unbelievable thing he's ever heard. He shut the car door she left open and began carrying her to the front of their apartments.