Faithful Protection

"Confidence... thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live."

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

        "Uncle Spence?" Henry whimpered as he sat up on the carpet. Spencer frowned down at his godson and walked around the couch to kneel down and let Henry climb on his back. The sounds by the front door continued, the clicking and clanking getting more and more frantic. Evie looked at Spencer with wide eyes, waiting for him to say something. 

        "Let's get to the basement." he whispered, nodding towards a door on the kitchen wall. Evie nodded and tried to remain calm, despite the way her heart felt as if it would beat out of her chest. She could hear pounding in her ears and her hands shook uncontrollably. Still, she was here to watch over Henry as much as Spencer was. She had to act confident for him and for Spencer. 

        All three of them snuck through the kitchen. Evie eased the door open since Spencer's hands were full holding up Henry on his back who was burying his head in Reid's shoulder. Evie insisted Spencer took Henry down first before she followed. As soon as she stepped down onto the first rickety wooden step, she heard the clinking stop. The squeak of the front door opening that she recalled from earlier filled the air. She could've sworn her heart stopped in that moment. The TV was still playing, being the only source of light throughout the house. It cast eerie flickering shadows throughout the kitchen, making her only motivated to move faster. She softly closed the door as quickly as she could with still being quiet, and tip toed down the stairs after Spencer. 

        The basement was unfinished, used mostly for storage. The floors were a cool cement through her socks and the cinder block walls only added to the dull gray atmosphere. Metal shelves with various appliances, boxes, and toys lined the walls and even the middle of the room. The room was small enough for every corner to be illuminated from the moonlight shining in from the small basement windows at the top of the walls. Thank goodness too, Evie didn't need to be anymore frightened than she already was. 

        "Take Henry, I'm going to go check it out." Spencer whispered, sliding Henry off his back and into Evie's arms. He was heavier than she thought he would be being a small child. She had to remember that she wasn't too big either though. She reinforced her arm under Henry and the one behind his back and sat on a stool in a hidden corner in the basement, finding a comfortable position. 

        "Is there a bad guy in my house?" Henry whispered, his scared face only a few inches away from Evie. She gave him a sad smile and brushed his hair out of his eyes. 

        "I don't know. It'll be okay though. I promise." Evie tried to seem strong as she reassured him. Henry's face softened a bit as he clung onto the shoulder of Evie's shirt and let his eyes wonder to the things around him. Evie sighed. She hoped she could keep her promise. 

        Evie looked over to Spencer who was on the other side of the basement, opening the top drawer of a tall dresser with a child lock on the knob. He sifted through the items and ended up taking out a Smith and Wesson Handgun. He rushed through more junk in the drawer until he found a few bullets. He loaded the gun and then moved back to where Evie held Henry. 

        "How- how..."

        "JJ told me where to find the emergency gun the first time I babysat." he explained in a rush. Evie nodded, realizing it wasn't important at the moment. 

        "Spencer, I don't feel comfortable with you going up alone." Evie whispered before Spencer could turn and start up the stairs. He sighed and reached forward to squeeze her hand that was supporting Henry's back.