Chapter Twenty-Four

After a lot of talking, many tears shed, and a little bit of laughter, Jake and I had finally made amends. I wanted to be happy, to believe that Jake was willing to give our relationship a chance. Though my heart leaped with joy at the notion, I was afraid to get my hopes up too soon.

The idea of losing me had finally prompted him to open up, and allowed me to breach the barriers he had built to keep me out. The fact that Jake had willingly told me about his past gave me faith that we could have a brighter future together, even if it took a little time to get there.

Jake was adamant that I come back to his house, but I was still hesitant, unsure if I could trust him again. Our fight still had put me on edge. How readily had Jake tossed me out like I was just a piece of garbage? Who's to say he wouldn't try that again? I didn't want to go to his house and settle in if he was just going to throw me out the next time he was angry. I couldn't live with that uncertainty.

"Come on, Cat," he pressed. "There won't be a hotel room available for a few more days. You can't spend Christmas living in your car," he pressed.

I didn't reply. My silence stretched on until Jake groaned with frustration.

"Fine, if you won't do it for you, at least do it for Harley," he said. "It's cold outside. This car isn't made for that kind of weather. Harley shouldn't have to be miserable like this."

Jake's lips curled up in a victorious smile, knowing that he had won. He knew my weak spot. The idea of any dog suffering made me cringe, but it was especially true of this dog, who had been there with me through so much. Harley was the best friend I'd ever had. 

I glanced in the backseat at his puppy dog eyes. He gave a small shiver, and my heart melted. The idea that he might be cold, or hungry, or miserable washed away all trepidations I had about returning to Jake's house.

Before I knew it, I was following Jake's pickup through the mucky winter roads, heading back to town. 

My mind lingered on Jake's reminiscence the entire drive back to his house. A weight had been lifted from my shoulders, but in its place, a surge of guilt consumed me. I could only imagine what Jake must be feeling, having to relive his family's last moments all over again, just so I knew the truth. It wasn't fair for me to ask that of him.

Between the scrupulous way he described the memory and the rawness of his emotions, I could almost see the fire that took his family from him. The image made me cringe. It was no wonder that Jake had relationship issues, given the traumatic things he had experienced in his short life. How could you not have inhibitions about moving on when you've lost the people you loved in the most gruesome manner?

I regretted any ill-will that I had felt toward Elena. I held a silent vendetta against her for so long now, secretly blaming her for Jake's inability to trust or love. But I hadn't known the whole story. It wasn't just a nasty divorce gone wrong, or a bitter ex-wife who was keeping her children from their father. She didn't chose to take her kids and leave Jake; they were taken from him. The hatred I had held for her was unfair and unfounded. 

I felt a sense of relief wash over me as I pulled into the driveway of Jake's familiar house. The moment the car door opened, Harley bounded out of the vehicle and to the front door, excited to be home. I couldn't help but wonder if this was our home. The idea nagged at the back of my mind. This house was bought with Elena, Ana, and Lucas in mind, not me and Harley.

But the moment Jake opened the door and let us inside, I felt a sense of security fall over me. My body relaxed, and I let out a sigh of relief. I felt more at peace than I had during the last twenty-four hours. No matter who the house was originally meant for, this was my home now.