Bittersweet Carrots (Mickwald)

Another M+ idea. When Oswald gets snatched up and presented to the wolf-mouse hybrid prince as an engagement present, he isn't expecting his new master to take more interest in him than even his fiance. youtube-fnaf darkness-within99

As the scent of wolf draws near, Oswald can taste the fear building in back of his throat. He needs to struggle. Run! Escape! This he knows, but as the scent overwhelms him, Oswald's instinct refuse to him move beyond putting one reluctant foot in front of the other.

He wants so much to reclaim his facilities: he's worked so hard to fight the instinctive drawbacks of his biology; in places where most rabbits would run, Oswald stands his ground. He won't let himself be taken advantage of because of his species.

At least, that was what he had always told himself. But refusing to allow yourself to be bullied, as it turns out, is way different than being dragged into a palace by one of the most powerful noble families in the country. Murmurs follow in the wake of his bare footsteps, and Oswald's face begins to burn as humiliation joins the terror. Dressed as he is in next to nothing, sheer silks and jewelry that barely cover him at all, he doesn't even have clothes to hide behind.

And ahead of it all, the snake hybrid of the Serpent family, pulling Oswald along by his leash as if she notices nothing at all. The closer they get to the throne room, the harder Oswald shakes. The scent of predator drowns him now, suffocating. His ears lay flat against his skull, eyes wide as he struggles fruitlessly against the collar around his neck. But the doors to the throne room open, and he stumbles through them, on display for the royal family of Miba.

Oswald barely hears the Serpent Duchess's speech; he already knows that he's an "engagement gift," an understated term for a body to practice on. He doesn't care why they find this necessary, or what brought them to this point. He just wants to get away!

But they pass him off like a piece of meat. His ears continue to lay flat as the crowd murmurs its appreciation. Oswald's physique, unusually slim and feminine for a rabbit male, does him no justice here. The collar around Oswald's neck jerks, and he stumbles forward. And meets the piercing gaze of his new master.

The young man watches him almost lazily, criticism blatant in his expression. Though he looks almost like a mouse, piercing yellow eyes that stare into soul give away the feel of a predator, and Oswald catches the white gleam of a fang from behind a pair of lips set in a sharp-angled face. Handsome, Oswald thinks distantly. Almost beautiful. Or would be, if Oswald weren't so terrified.

"Thank you for your tribute," the young prince says to the serpent, though Oswald doesn't miss the tension in his voice. "Have him taken to..." He glances over at another woman, also on a throne—presumably his mother, the queen—and she nods her affirmation. "To my room."

"Highness," a servant acknowledges, accepting the leash from the Duchess with a bow. And then Oswald finds himself dragged off again, choking at the tug once more.

By the time Oswald regains his wherewithal to speak, they're nearly there; the servant only needs to ignore his pleas for a few moments. And then Oswald is alone in the royal bedroom, leash bound to the headboard to await his fate. But he's alone, at least. And oh, how others tend to underestimate people like him. He gets to work on this rope. These nobles, he thinks irritably, are far too clever for their own good. They've used multiple ropes, so even after the first one around his wrist is severed, more remain. Oswald has, of course, gotten down to the last rope when he hears voices outside the door.

"I don't want to marry her, mother," snaps a rough young voice. "So why do I have to accept her engagement gift?"

"We've already been over this." The female voice that responds is tight and imperious. "We need this alliance."