i

l e a h

My feet tapped on the floor in the beat of the song. My legs shook slightly. My hands were trembling, but not massively.

Twenty two minutes. That's how long we had left to wait. I was counting second by second, but at the same time trying to remember everything I had to sing.

'And we'll never be royals, royals,' I sang lowly to myself. Deep breaths. In, and out. In, and out.

Twenty minutes. I started to worry. What if something went wrong? Surely it can't, we'd practised for days. I looked over to Ivy. She didn't look near as worried as I was, and she was two years younger than me. My favourite little cousin, or one of my best friends.

She was probably able to tell I wasn't completely ready. "Leah, you'll do amazing, trust me. You've got the stronger voice after all." That was the one thing I got annoyed at her at. She always thought I had the better voice, even though we were both as good as each other. Yeah, I could whistle-tone and she couldn't, big deal. Her voice was much louder and passionate.

"Anything could go wrong," I said, pessimistically. I rarely looked at the bright sides of situations, which people were always annoyed by.

"And what if all goes right? Stop doubting yourself. It's not all up to you," she told me. She was right. She always knew the right thing to say.
Ten minutes passed. People were going in and coming out crying. I wasn't always fully sure wether they were tears of joy or sadness. Some people caught my eye, but I couldn't exactly judge them by their appearance. I guess I'd have to wait and see, who would I get to know.

Finally, we were called. "Small talk? Is there a group called Small Talk?" a woman came out of the audition room, asking loudly. People turned their heads, looking around.

Ivy stood up. "Leah," she said. This was it. If I didn't do well now, I'd regret it all, I told myself.

I sighed and stood up out of my seat. People watched as we walked towards the door. We entered the audition room, after being given a microphone each. My heart was racing and breathing got heavy.

"Hello, girls," Louis said. Wow, the judges seemed different in person. Cheryl looked even more beautiful. Mel looked.. Scary. Louis seemed friendly and Simon was.. Well, Simon.

"What are your names and what is the group called?" Cheryl asked politely.

"Um, I'm Leah and that's Ivy. We're called Small Talk," I smiled nervously.
"That's a cute name, how'd you think of that one?" Louis asked.

"Our subscribers on Youtube helped us pick it out," Ivy explained briefly.

"Oh, you did covers?" Simon said, looking somewhat surprised. I didn't know why, he must've been used to hearing people say they came from Youtube.

"Yeah, we had about ten thousand subscribers." Ivy said again.

"Okay, and are you girls related, or what's the story between you two?" Simon continued.

"We're cousins," I piped in.

"That's lovely. So what will you girls be singing?" Mel said.

"We're singing our cover of Royals, by Lorde," I told them.

"Okay, whenever you're ready," Mel said to us, smiling and sitting back in her seat slightly.

There was a second of silence, before Ivy started her verse. I looked over to the camera crew, being intimidated by it all. Quickly it was my turn to sing. We went into the chorus, doing our harmonies. I sang higher and Ivy sang lower. It worked perfectly, as my voice was higher pitched than Ivy's anyway.
We finished our bit. I was extremely thankful it was over and also that we got through without any mistakes or anything.

The judges didn't say anything for a moment, they looked speechless. Finally, Cheryl spoke up, her eyes were wide. "Girls, brilliant is an understatement. You were.. I can't even think of the word," Louis then said, "Girls, your voices are both wonderful, they worked so well together. You sounded like angels." I covered my mouth with my hands, I was overwhelmed.

"Oh, girls, that was one of the last auditions of the day and probably one of the best, if not the best." Simon said. "Judges, yes or no?"

"Yes, definitely a huge yes." Louis said. "Mel?"

"Girls, that song wasn't the best choice. I'm sure you're capable of so much more." Mel criticised. "I want to hear more of what you girls can do and for that reason I'm saying yes," she smiled. I exchanged a look with Ivy.

"Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes," Cheryl responded.

"Girls, you've got four huge yeses, well done." Simon smiled.

"Thank you so much," I said, then me and Ivy ran out of the room.

After we left we both screamed with happiness, hugging each other.
As we left the room, an unfamiliar blonde, young looking boy standing beside the door shot Ivy a glare which she returned, before we walked to the exit. I was left confused, but I didn't bother asking Ivy about it.

Everyone else in the room was looking at both of us, some looked happy for us, some maybe jealous, but we didn't care. We were over the moon.