Chapter 2

Persephone had been mature for only two weeks when Demeter was singing happily. At last, she could show off her beautiful daughter to her divine family. The invitations had been sent, the carriage had been prepared, Persephone wore a costly peplos. The goddess of Spring grew up knowing she wasn't the most powerful goddess in the realm, neither did she want to become one. She also grew up with the stories Demeter told her, about the Three Great Ones and the Twelve Royal Ones. They were powerful - she was nothing compared to them. Of course, her mother was one of them. And her father.

Musing about which one of the twelve Olympians would be the most powerful would they ever have to oppose each other, the goddess of Spring looked on while Demeter got ready for their journey. It had been Summer all her life. She didn't remember it to have been any other way except for hot and green and full of life.

'Mother, which one of the Three Great Ones do you think is the most powerful?' Demeter raised her brow and looked away from the silver mirror.

'Zeus, of course. That is not even a question for a goddess of your standard.' Persephone shrugged.

'He only rules the skies and produced a whole lot of children. Just because he's slain Cronos it doesn't make him powerful, just really strong. Or really lucky.'

'Humor me,' said Demeter unamused, 'who would be more powerful than the god of gods?'

'He only is our king because we accepted him as such. Truly, Poseidon, master of seas, may be just as powerful.' Demeter got up and towered over her.

'Do not even dare to think either Poseidon or Hades is as powerful as your father. Zeus could serve them for dinner if he wished it so.' Persephone said nothing. She did think the god of the underworld might have been just as powerful as her father, but she thought the same of god of seas, Poseidon. She couldn't imagine what it was like to be so disliked by gods and mortals alike. She herself inspired love everywhere and wished it upon everyone. Including Hades. Demeter was never sparingly with her harsh words on Hades.

As the goddess of Harvest and Everything That Grows, Demeter felt that the god of the Dead was a true abomination. Over time, however, Persephone had become fascinated with the King of Darkness and thought that if no one was to love the misshapen god of the Underworld she should. That was also the reason she paid her respects by leaving him a sacrifice one boring evening that same Summer. She thought a bouquet of Asphodels would be fitting for the god that ruled over the lives of man and demi-god alike. She also left him jasmine flowers and lavender, because those were her personal favourites. She knew that it didn't matter to pray or sacrifice to the God of Dead, Hades never listened anyway. At least, that was one of the things her mother had told her. But she wanted to leave something for him anyway.

Little did she know someone was watching her from the shadows. Hades saw her leaving the bouquet of flowers and smiled amused. Not many left presents for the God of the Underworld and he knew every single one of them by name. More often than not they wanted something in return, something he could never humour, but she was different. He could see her heart and she wanted nothing in return.

Demeter had done everything in her power to get her daughter to be as disgusted by Hades as she was. She told Persephone the horrible things that happened if one were to fall in one of Hades' traps. For example, one could never eat or drink anything that grew in the Underworld. If you did, you could never leave. For every bite you destined yourself to a month of doom and despair. Hades was known to set a rich table with piles of gorgeous food that would never leave his guest saturated - mortal or divine.

Persephone's favourite horror story on Hades, however, was about his bargains with mortals over their souls; their soul in return for something their hearts ached for. If they'd win the game, they would get whatever they desired. If they'd lose, Hades would get ultimate control over their souls. He never showed mercy and he never bluffed.

'Never forget he is a cheat,' Demeter had said. 'He always asks for what his opponent cannot do and they always lose their wagers.' It sent chills down her spine thinking of someone so powerful he had control over your soul. That was the kind of power Persephone spoke of, not shooting lightning out of one's finger tips.