Chapter 6: autumn

Persephone was getting close when she heard dogs barking. A tall woman came up to her, all friendly smiles. A couple of dogs jumped around her enthusiastically. Persephone instantly felt she was no mortal as power radiated from the woman.

'Welcome, Kore,' the woman said. Surprised, Persephone looked at her. The only one who called her Kore was her mother.

'Did my mother send you?' she asked. Hecate laughed.

'Of course not. Don't get me wrong, but I don't think the goddess of Harvest has ever spared me a thought. Follow me, please.'

'Actually-' Hecate's eyes hardened.

'I know where you are going, girl. Now, follow me.' Persephone wasn't shy, but it felt different with the witch of the Underworld. She followed her into the pasture without contradiction.

'Half of what Demeter told you was a lie,' she said as they entered a cabin. She lifted her head at her own words. 'Actually, the other half may have been lie as well.' Persephone looked around her, amazed by how the crystals Hecate kept in there caught the light and spread it all over the place.

'What do you mean?'

'For one, the God of Dead is truly neutral. He never succumbs to the folly of mortal kind. Demeter is just annoyed with him because her brother is the exact opposite of her, I guess. Really, the Asphodel Meadows forms a perfect society in which each and every individual fulfills their place. They are the true neutrals. They don't feel or do anything of importance. They just are until they reincarnate.'

'That sounds really sad.'

'No, it is really peaceful. Not to worry about the Dead, child. Their master takes good care of them.'

'Will you take me to him?' she heard herself asking. Did she really want to meet the abominable King of Darkness? Her mother wouldn't be too fond of that. Hecate laughed.

'Everything in its own time.'

'Will you take me to the river Styx then?'

'Don't talk about her so disrespectfully. Styx is a powerful spirit who holds the agonized spirits who died without coin in place. But, yes, she is a river, too.' Persephone sat down at Hecate's bidding.

'I didn't know other gods lived in these realms,' Persephone said tentatively. Hecate smiled at her and sat down as well.

'I come and go as I please. I like the peace and quiet down here, though. The hustle and bustle of the mortal realm isn't always for me.'

'And Hades just lets you leave?'

'Of course he does,' Hecates scolded. 'You have no idea where you are, now, have you? It would be for the best if you talked to the souls in the Asphodel Meadows first. And no! You haven't done that already - child, hasn't your mother taught you anything at all? I can hear your thoughts way over here.' The two of them set out for the fields again.

There, Persephone met with the souls who had only just arrived. They talked to her about their past lives, which they were already forgetting, and their dreams of doing in Asphodel what they liked best above ground.

While Persephone was making friends in the Underworld, Demeter woke up to the eerie feeling her daughter wasn't in the house. The two goddesses had always been so close they could sense each other's divinity. She hurried around the greenhouse calling out for her daughter, who didn't respond. Demeter raced out and called for Persephone again and again - but still, nothing.

'Woe me, all-seeing Helios,' she cried out, 'tell me who took her! Tell me who took my dearest Persephone!' The god of the sun appeared before her and bowed his head.

'She was not taken. She went on her own behalf.'

'Where did she go?'

'She went into the Underworld, as the Fates prophesied.'

'No!' the goddess of Harvest shrieked, 'anywhere but there!' Helios smiled at her with pity.

'Would it really be so bad?' he asked, 'Hades is the most loyal and the richest of the Olympians and One of Three.'

'He can't have her,' said Demeter as the first leaves turned yellow already. 'He can't take her from me!'