Chapter 52

Everyone knew a different way of leading a sheltered life. Some would stay cooped up in their homely little cottages, going nowhere never, knowing only what was fed to them by their loved ones. Others saw the world, yet closed themselves off for things they didn't want to see. Persephone had seen her share of the world, Up, Above and Below. She knew love, pain, hatred, sadness and boredom. Her emotions had never been sheltered. Nonetheless, as long as she lived Below she had no idea as to the world above ground. She only allowed herself to know what Hades wished to tell her.

It had been quite some time since the last people had entered the Underworld. Although it was a strange thing to behold, Persephone felt easy about it. It must have meant Demeter was taking the situation lighter than the first time. People were not dying because of the cold. Above must have been thriving, even without Persephone's love for Demeter.

One day, not long before Winter would come crashing down in snowy storms, she was looking at the godly king sitting opposite her. Absentmindedly, blue eyes stared into the flames of his massive hearth. She felt the need to kiss him, touch him, feel him. He had been worrying over the lack of newcomers, but he didn't yet express his concerns to her. She knew, though, because he was too distracted to even answer her needs.

'Persephone, come here', he softly demanded. She got up and walked over to him slowly, only to crouch down beside him. She wanted to look up to him, she wanted the control back she had felt when she got back Down, but he had taken the upperhand from her slyly, without her even noticing it. She felt his fingertips under her chin, tipping her head back so she could no longer avert his gaze. She clenched her thighs, rubbing her knees nervously. It hadn't been that long, she was acting pathetic. Hades smiled at her as he lowered his face. When his lips brushed hers, she almost attacked him, digging her nails in his shoulders, dragging him out of his chair and onto her. Obviously he wasn't unmoved by her, she could feel him harden against her thigh as he hovered above her, their mouths moving passionately while she bit and sucked on his limps, extracting a moan from him that almost send her into the vantablack void. She loved she could do that to him, even though she was no longer the controlling party.

A knock on the door made his head jerk back. The clouds in his beautiful eyes darkened and he contemplated on ignoring the knock. Persephone clawed at him, desperate for his attention, her lips finding his again. The knock turned urgent the second time. Sighing, Hades rested his forehead against hers and closed his eyes. The goddess of Spring let herself fall back, spreading her arms and legs like a star. She closed her eyes, giggling at the absurdity of the situation.

'I need to take care of that', he grunted when there was a third knock. Persephone nodded and rolled out from under him. She shook the thoughts out of her head and placed herself next to Hades chair. Squatting next to the chair, Hades pinched the bridge of his nose, trying to collect his own impure thoughts in order to store them away. When he felt he could look someone in the eye without feeling the need to kill the person on the other side, he grunted an unkind come in before plopping down in his chair, slumped down to boredom. 

Persephone had never met Thanatos in the flesh. She had heard the stories, but she had yet to encounter the Angel of Death. He did not acknowledge her when he walked into the room. His hands were folded against his back, he had a thunderous look in his almost white eyes. The goddess of Spring looked at him curiously while her fingertips trailed along the collar of Hades' jacket. She felt uneasy seeing why people would allow him to kiss them. He was an alluring figure, radiating protection and possessiveness, handsome in an otherworldly way. She couldn't not understand the way children looked up to their parents and loved them more than their tiny bodies could possibly entail. 

'He is here.' Hades lips curled upward into a tiny smirk. She blinked, pulling herself out of the slumber Thanatos' appearance had put her in.

'So I guess you finally caught up with him.' Thanatos winced. Persephone did not know who they were talking about, but she was dying to find out.