sixteen

the first day of summer. the first day of freedom. the losers bolted down the hallway of derry high at lightening speed. they bursted out the door , stumbling over each other in the process.

an out of breath eddie paused at the door. "rich , inhaler please." eddie pleased through breaths. richie rummaged through the side pocket of his bookbag , and pulled out the aspirator he carried around for eddie.

"okay , ready now , guys?" stan rushed. "oh , i'm sorry if my dying was interrupting your plans , stanley!" eddie yelled jokingly. stan put his hands up in surrender.

the boys stood in the schools parking lot , and looked up at eachother all at once.

"ready?" eddie asked the group. richie , stan , ben and bill nodded quickly.

"1...2...3!"

in an instant , they raced to unzip their book bags , and didn't hesitate to toss the mounds of  paper up above their heads. papers fluttered around in the air , falling like snow. stan snickered when he saw one of richies unfinished math tests in the mix.

now all their bags contained were their towels , as they were on their way to play in the quarry's waters. wearing bathing suits under their pants wasn't the best idea ever , but it beat changing in front of one another.

"ahh." richie said inhaling the fresh air deeply. "smells like summer."

"what the hell does summer smell like , richie?" stan said , annoyed. as always.

"summer smells like...this." richie said and motioned to the air around him.

"w-what a d-di-dipshit." bill stuttered under his breath. "what was that , billiam?" richie teased.

"fuck o-off , rich." bill said and rolled his eyes. eddie giggled and grabbed richies hand , lacing their fingers.

"jesus christ! you're both sexually frustrated. bill just give it up already." richie said.

"says the virgin." stan retorted , and stuck his nose into the air. "not for long. right , eds?" richie said with a wink.

"ew."

richie dropped eddies hand ,  sighing dramatically. "whatever , edward. i hate to break it to you , but i've always found your mom more attractive anyway."

"you're gross , chee." eddie wrinkled his nose. richie giggled and grabbed eddies hand again. "you love me."

"mhm."

ben laughed at the two. "so. has anyone heard from mike?"

stan nodded. "he can't come today. something about having to 'get over his fear of killing sheep' or something."

whatever the fuck that meant.

"hurry up you twats , we're burning daylight." richie said in a terrible british accent. "give it up , richie , they all sound the same!" stan growled.

"bill!" richie cried out , slinging his free arm over bills shoulder. " you really need to fix this man! c'mon , big bill. work your magic. i know you want to. right here , right now. c'mon , we won't watch , right guys?" richie said persistently.

eddie and ben stifled laughter.
"g-get off of m-m-me , r-ri-richie!" bill pushed richie's arm off of him. "ahh , you're no fun , william denbrough."

"can we please go now?" stan said , and glanced down at his watch. "you heard the man , pip pip!" richie said and snapped his fingers together.