Chapter 19

Ada Johnson's P. O. V

The sound of my breathless panting is all that can be heard in the lonely attic as I raise a hand and wipe a stray bead of sweat trailing its way down my forehead. Grunting in annoyance, I shove the cardboard box right at the back of the attic. Far away from sight. Not that Marjorie has a special dislike against it or its content but rather I do.

Nothing should be that dastardly heavy.

Flopping back down onto the ground, I stay weary of my surroundings, eying the cobwebs cascading down from the rafters and covering bits and bobs of items strewn here and there. The scuttling of feet against wood also causes me to stand with an abrupt yelp, not caring whether it is just my imagination or there actually are mice in the attic. One look at a trail of dust has me scampering down the stairs and shoving the ladder back into place.

Raising hand, I wipe at my forehead once more before placing my hands on hips and turning around. A startled scream ensuing out of my lips in the next moment as pitch black covers my eyes. Blinking a few times, I take a step back and peer at the chest clad shirt before raising my eyes with a gulp to meet baby blue ones.

The man stares back at me with a sly smirk as he looks at me and then takes in my disheveled appearance. I know exactly what he sees, right from the puffy red face to the bird nest hairstyle as my chest heaves from both exhilaration and the fright that he just caused me.

"Did I scare you?" He questions, voice drenched in amusement as he crosses his arms over his shoulders and I let out a huff.

"Yeah your face does that to me." I rebut before my eyes go wide and I clamp my mouth shut. Quickly clearing my throat, I shake my head, "Sorry. That's not what I meant." I wince immediately after I say it. My apology anything but smooth as I hope Gregory casually forgets that he's my boss in not one but two jobs and that I've just insulted him.

Greg lets out a scoff as his smirk grows wider, "We both know that's a lie." I blush at his retort but brush it off as I glance once more to the attic stairs before sliding past him, taking my phone out and checking the time. I only have a few minutes before I'm free I think with satisfaction. Not that I hate the job but who doesn't want to go home, curl up in bed and just spend the rest of the day there.

I really need to get a better social life with my priorities in order.

"What's up? What are you doing here?" I ask nonchalantly as I head down the stairs, making sure not to disturb Marjorie who should be napping by now.

"You mean other than the fact that this is my grandmothers house?" He questions with a laugh, following right behind me.

I pause momentarily as I consider his words before turning to glare at him for a quick second. "You know perfectly well what I mean. You show up early on the weekdays. Not on the weekends so what do you want?" I ask with a raised brow as I take in his casual attire of a black v neck t shirt that fits him like a glove paired with grey sweatpants that have my eyes lingering on certain areas for longer than I would like.

"Well don't you know me well?" Greg asks with sarcasm lacing his voice as he grasps onto my shoulders and gives me a gentle push forward to get my feet into motion. Grumbling under my breath, I do as he speaks, or rather lack of, and start going in the direction I have to before I can to go home.

"Marjorie's sleeping." I tell him over my shoulder as I head into the kitchen, making sure the fridge is stocked full of pre prepared meals along with some other fresh ingredients just in case the woman feels up to cooking something else.

"No she's not. Anyways I'm not here for her, I'm here to ask you for a favour." My eyebrows raise up in question as I once more turn to face him, wondering what on Earth he wants from me and knowing that it's something I most definitely don't want to do.