Chapter 2

When Rebecca and Roger finally woke their daughter up they immediately hugged her. At some point, they feared that they had lost their child. Roger slowly shook the sleeping child and woke her.

"Mommy, Daddy hi." She said. 

"Hi, baby how'd you get here?" Roger asked, fearing what he response his daughter might give him. 

"My friend brought me." Nikki answered without hesitation. "He said he wanted me to meet my older sister." Rebecca looked over at her husband. That was not the answer they were expecting to make matters more creepy they had never mentioned this subject to Nikki. She and Roger agreed a long time ago that it was better if they kept it a secret until Nikki was older to understand what was going on. 

They did no ask much after that they just took their daughter home. They needed to think about the event that had just happened. Roger put watched his daughter play with her toys. He ignored the television it was just background noise he was deep in his thoughts. He was trying to understand how was it possible for an eight-year-old to make it to a graveyard with no adult supervision. Who was the friend that his daughter was talking about. 

His attention was caught when he saw his wife taking their daughter to her room. He knew she was probably going to put her to bed. It had been an interesting night. Roger stood up and made his way to his room. He waited for his wife and when she came into the room they started talking about what had happened. 

Around three in the morning, they decided that they should go check on Nikki. They knew she was most likely asleep but they just wanted to see their innocent child. As Roger and Rebecca got closer to Nikki's room they could hear her muffled voice. "Quietly." Rebecca told her husband. 

They stayed at the door and watched Nikki quietly. They did not want to scare her. "Why do you want me?" Nikki questioned what seemed to be no one but a blank wall. "My parents do love me. They would love you too." 

"Nikki?" Rebecca called softly. She did not want to scare her daughter by speaking too loud considering how late it was. When Nikki turned around Rebecca continued. "Who are you talking to sweetheart?"

"My friend." 

"There is no one there Nikki." Roger interfered, he was starting to believe that Nikki was taking these imaginary friend way to serious. 

"Yes, there is!" Thet child argued. 

"Okay what your friend's name?" Rebecca decided to take a different approach when she saw that Nikki was getting upset that her imaginary friend was not being acknowledged. 

"What you name?'" Nikki's parents watched as she talked to the black wall once again. She listened carefully to what she was told. "He said I can't tell you because you won't let us be friends." Nikki did not want to talk any more to her parents or her friend. She jumped on her bed and said goodnight. 

      After a couple of days of debating back and forth, Roger and Rebecca decided that Nikki should see a child therapist. Someone that could get to the bottom of why Nikki was eight and sill had imaginary friends. Someone that can give them the answer to why Nikki was persistent that those friends were real. They spoke to the priest and he recommended them to a therapist that the church worked closely within their outreach program for foster kids, who were being placed with families that went to the church. 

When they arrived at the office. Rebecca immediately let the secretary know that they had an appointment with Doctor Baxton. They waited patiently until a red-head woman walked out and called Nikki's name. Rebecca and Roger wanted to go in with her but were told that it was better if they waited outside. 

Nikki followed the lady into the blue colored room. She sat and waited for the lady to sit in front of her. "Hi Nikki, I am Doctor Baxton but you can call me Monica." Nikki gave the lady a nod and stared at her. They sat in silence for a while until Monica broke the silence. "So your parents tell me you have a friend?" 

"Yeah I do but he doesn't want me to say his name." Nikki explained. 

"What else does your friend tell you?" Monica asked as she scribbled on her notepad. Monica watched as Nikki turned the small chair next to the sofa she was seated on.

"I can't tell her that she won't believe me." Nikki argued to what Doctor Baxton could only presume was her client's imaginary friend. 

"You can't tell me what sweetie?" The therapist asked. She had many clients that had an imaginary friend but none that were so certain that they were actually real like Nikki was. She watched as Nikki was very hesitant at first. After a couple of minutes, the girl finally spoke, 

"Monica I am sorry for your loss, your son did not deserve to get shot but he died quickly and felt no pain." 

"Nikki that's not funny-" Monica did not get to finish her sentence she was interrupted by her phone ringing. "Hello... yes this is her... he's what? I am on my way." Nikki watched as the therapist rushed out of the office not saying anything to her. Nikki decided to walk out and see her parents. 

~~~~

Today Roger, Rebecca, and Nikki, were at the funeral for Monica Baxton's son. After all, Monica was a part of their church. There was a special mass held for Monica's son. He was just ten and got shot while riding his bike. Everyone was speechless about the accident, nothing bad really ever happened in this small town.

At the funeral, Nikki placed all the flowers she had on the little boy's grave except for one. She walked to Nataly's, her sister, grave. She placed the white rose on it. "Nikki why are you leaving Nataly a rose." her parents asked her. They did not mind that she was leaving the rose but couldn't help but be curious as to why she was doing it.

"Todays her birthday." Nikki said and began singing happy birthday to her sister. Both Roger and Rebecca once again were shocked at how their daughter knew information they had never given her.

"Who told you that?" Roger asked his little girl.

"My friend." Once again her parents worried about their daughter.

"Daddy I'm tired." Roger lifted Nikki up and the family walked to their house. Rebecca took sleeping Nikki to her room. Rebecca grabbed some PJs out to change Nikki out of her black dress. As she took off her daughter's dress a loud gasp escaped her mouth. She quickly went and got her husband.

"Roger, what happened to her?" Rebecca asked her husband hoping he would know more than her, however, neither of them knew what happened to their daughter or why she had a scratches on her back that seemed like claw marks and a circle that has a star in the middle. Roger took his phone out quickly and took a photo.

"Why are you taking a photo, Roger?" Rebecca questioned.

"To show father Peter. He must know what it is." Rebecca agreed. They finished changing their daughter and quickly went to pray. They would go talk with Father Peter when they go woke up in the morning.