Mat

Mat dialed Lane's number in his phone and waited. It rang about three times before she picked up.
"Hello?" Her voice was like a bird singing in his head.
"Hey Lane, it's me Mat." He switched the phone to the other ear as he went to his closet to change.
"Oh, Mat!" He heard her exhale. "I am so sorry."
"It's fine." He shrugged and then slapped his face, like she could see him.
"How are you?"
"I'm good, now at least." He picked a shirt and threw across the room.
"That's good right?"
"Yeah, anyways would you like to hang out with me tonight, you know, help me get all this stuff off my mind."
"Mat, I would love too, but."
"But? But what?"
"I have a family problem right now."
"Can't you hang out for like an hour?"
"Sorry, Mat some other time, okay?
"Okay," He hung up and flung himself back against the bed. Next he called some of the girls back, a few he wanted to see if they would be worth his time, but every time he called them he saw Janelle's face in his mind. Finally he settled for Tara. He drove to pick her up from where she had said to and she climbed into his car.
"Hi Tara," He glared at the road.
"Well, hello to you too." Her blonde eyebrows knitted together. She drew her seat belt around her and put her hair into a messy bun.
"Where do you want to go?" He asked as he drew his own seat belt around himself.
"Anywhere is fine." She tapped her foot on the floor and looked out the window.
"Alright." He took her down the road he had spent so many times with Janelle and to a mini golf course.
She laughed. "Honestly Mat, how did you know?"
He cursed slightly in his mind. She liked this place? "I guessed." He tore the keys from the car and walked up and paid for their golf balls and putters. He was losing by the fourth hole.
"How are you winning?!" He asked his face going into complete shock as she made another hole in one. She smiled at him as some hair fell from her bun at the top of her head.
"It's all about not losing focus." She laughed and sat on the bench. She put her short legs out in front of her as she watched Mat miss again.
"Okay, I think they gave you a magic putter." He said.
"Here give it to me." She held out her hand and set hers down. She laced her slim fingers around the handle.
"This is how you're supposed to hold it." She straightened her back. "And this is how you are supposed to stand." He went up behind her, and put his arms around her and reached for the handle. Her hair tickled his chin. He felt her gasp.
"Like this?" He put his mouth to her neck."Tell you what if I make this, you give me a kiss, alright?" He whispered into her hair. She turned quickly and the putter fell from his grasp.
"Mat!" Her face contorted into anger.
He felt his jaw drop. "What is it?"
"I didn't come here to make out with you!" She yelled at him as faces and stares turned their way.
"What?" He asked.
"I came here to make sure you were alright!" She stormed off into the distance leaving Mat watching her go.