Chapter Twenty-Three

Jade lay numb on the bed.

Cheverston had done it all in one go. Raped her, beat her, tortured her and gave her a few slaps with his belt.

Her body was covered in bruises and cuts, the pain indescribable.

Rachel watched most of it besides Jade being raped. Jade felt sick to her stomach. It had finally sunk in.

Her mother had been on this all along.

Knowing that, she desperately wanted to grab the nearest object and hurl it at Rachel's head and hopefully break her neck with it.

Books can be lethal, especially the big ones, if used correctly.

The door creaked open and behind it was Rachel with a plate of food and a pint of water. Even though Rachel wanted to make Jade and Robertson suffer miserably like Chevertson did, Jade was still her daughter in her eyes.

To Jade she was a monster.

Rachel eased herself onto the edge of the bed, stretching out her arm, petting Jades her hair. "How're you feeling?"

"How am I feeling?"

Jade's forehead creased, anger flashing on her face as she cocked her head to the side. "How am I fucking feeling?"

She glared at her. "Have a fucking guess, I've been raped, tortured and beaten countless times, you do the math."

Rachel sighed deeply, pulling back her hand. "You need to learn how to respect your elders, Jade. Can't believe your loose lipped after all Darren has done. If you don't cop on we'll be forced to do the extreme until you learn to watch your tongue."

Jade felt like spitting at her but resigned against it. She knew better then to hit or spit at sociopaths. If she didn't want to be beaten to the pulp again, she'd choose her words carefully for now on.

"I'm terribly sorry, mother if I don't meet your expectations. After all, you can't blame me for being like this, can you? I was raised by you."

Rachel's jaw clenched. "You should be grateful I'm not calling your-" Rachel stopped short, panic spreading across her face but quickly fixed her mistake. "-Darren in here and telling him how you're acting."

Jade narrowed her slits. "What did you mean by 'your'."

Rachel swallowed the lump in her throat, composing herself. "I got my words mixed up and accidentally added in an extra word to my sentence."

Jade was too tried to care. All she wanted was peace and quiet and to be left alone to die in misery.

Jade decided instead of cursing and fighting them, she'd kill them with kindness instead.

"Please could you leave me alone while I rest." She said, closing her eyes.

Rachel was taken back by the sudden change of attitude but didn't question it. The bed lifted it as Rachel got up to leave.

Jade heard her heels click and the door close with a soft bang. She opened her eyes and forced herself to sit upwards.

She bit down on her lips to stop herself from screaming. She was at breaking point and didn't know how much more she could take.

One moment she loses hope, next minute she finds it from somewhere and loses it again. It's a constant cycle that repeated over and over and over again.

Deep down there was a spark of hope within her that filled her one day and died the next. But the light was slowly dying away, with each passing day, until one day, it truly would be gone.

~

Robertson sat in his car in the middle of the woods, examining every inch of his map that he bought from the nearest store.

The lake was six miles long and another few miles wide. It would take him at least a full twenty-four hours to search everywhere and possibly even longer.

He wasn't sure how far out the cabin was from the lake or if it was right at the edge. He'd figure that out sooner or later.

He drove close to the western side of the lake and marked a large X on his map so he knew he scouted this area when he was moving onto the next one.

He stepped out of the car, walking along the lake bank for a minute or two before making way back to his Audi.

He toyed with the ring on his finger and wriggled it off, stopping short next to the lake. He stared out at the beautiful scenery before him.

The lake was as sliver as diamond flame and the atmosphere was convent quiet. Even the depths were vodka clear. It was soothing and still. The rising sun caused a division of armed flies to swarm into the air. The blue mountains beyond the trees complimented the scene nicely.

Robertson glanced down at his sliver ring that burned in his palm. He never once took it off. Not even at work. The day Rachel placed that ring on his finger it felt as if it was apart of him.

Now, he resented it.

He played with it for a while, scrutinizing it's marks and scratches it had gotten over the years.

He took one last look at it before launching it as far as he could into the depths of the lake.

He felt different now, he felt as if he was finally...... free.

He set off for the car, not wanting to waste anymore time. He put it into gear and sped on into the woods.

He spent a full four hours covering the western side of the lake. He never asked Hannah for specific details on where exactly the Cabin was and how far out it might be.

But he'd find it eventually and get his daughter back while putting a bullet through Cheverston's skull.

~
Cheverston sat in what he liked to call his escape room. It was a hidden room in the cabin with cameras that he planted all over the woods months ago.

He never told Rachel about the room. He liked his downtime. He felt she was a little clingy, but other than that he thought she was great.

He smirked at the computer as Robertson's Audi weaved through the cameras. He found it ironic how close he was but yet so far away.

It took him the space of two months to cover every inch of the woods. He had eyes on everything. If anyone ever came too close to the cabin, he'd send out bloodhounds to chase them away and possibly kill them. He even rigged the place with explosives and dug tunnels if he ever needed and emergency escape route.

He wasn't going to chase Robertson away though. He was going to get him to come to him.

"Oh Ryan," Cheverston sighed with a smile playing on his lips as he relaxed into his chair. "Can't wait for our reunion."

Sorry for not updating.......... again.
Hope you all are having a fantastic Christmas so far! Mine was almost cancelled because the tree is the leaning tower of Pisa and nearly fell over lol.

Boring chapter sorry.