Chapter Twenty-Eight

Robertson handed Jade a knife and a gun, giving her a quick tutorial on how to use it as they slowly stepped out of the basement, into a hallway.

"If you want to check how much ammo you have left, pull back the slide like so," he pulled back the slide to reveal a full chamber. "Then slide it back into place. If you want to change magazines, eject it, put your new in and away you go." He demonstrated for her.

Jade was feeling light-headed but did her best to concentrate as they slowly made their way down the dark corridor.

He showed her how to put the safety on and off and how she should hold it. As she followed behind, she went over the steps through her head and clicked off the safety.

Meanwhile, Rachel and Cheverston were quarrelling like an old married couple upstairs.

"Rachel, how many fucking times do I have to tell you not to infer with my business?"

Rachel wiped away her tears with her sleeve. "She's still my daughter, Darren. She's also yours! Kill Ryan, but please," tears brimmed in her eyes. "Spare Jade."

Cheverston narrowed his slits and took a step forward towards her. "If I had known she'd be a little shit I would've told you to get an abortion."

Rachel dried up her eyes. "Darren, if we're going to be a team, we need to make these decisions together."

"For fuck sake, Rachel!" Darren yelled, his hands balling into fists. "This has nothing to do with you!" He pointed towards the door. "I'm getting vengeance for my son!"

"Well it's taking you long enough." She snapped back. "You know, Darren. You're all talk, you say you'll kill Ryan," she sneered at him. "But you don't have the guts to do it."

Cheverston smacked her hard across the face and Rachel was left speechless, clutching her aching cheek.

Cheverston immediately regretted it and quickly pulled her into a hug, mumbling into her hair how sorry he was.

"Never cross the line like that again," he cupped her cheek, staring into her sea-green eyes. "Ok? You don't want to see my bad side, now do you?"

Rachel shook her head and buried her face in his chest, sobbing. "I'm sorry."

Before Cheverston could speak, there was a bang downstairs.

Cheverston narrowed his slits, grabbing his gun off the nightstand. "I'll be back."

Jade glanced back at the table she had knocked over. A broken vase and dead roses lay at her feet.

Robertson gave her the; 'Are you fucking serious' look.

Jade gingerly rubbed her ribs and glared at him. "I've been missing for fucking ages, I'm knackered, sore and cranky so don't even start about knocking over a stupid vase."

Robertson opened his mouth the reply but was cut off by the sound of heavy boots thudding down the stairs like an elephant.

Robertson shoved himself and Jade into a room, closing the door but leaving a mini gap to see through.

"We have to outsmart him," he whispered, clicking off the safety on his desert eagle. He had three rounds and he was hoping he wouldn't have to use them all. He glanced over at Jade who was breathing heavily beside him. "You don't care if I kill him, do you?"

He needed reassurance. Even though Cheverston had put her through hell, he was her biological father and he feared she might want him alive.

Her sea green eyes flickered open and she stared at him hard. "Are you shitting me? Gut him."