Twenty Five

Maddie

After a long conversation with my Mom, she's convinced me to drop a job. I originally picked up this job to help out my Mom with bills, groceries, and rent. All because my Dad lost his job and wouldn't do find a new one. I was the substitute father figure for a long time.

Although we still struggled with money, we're more financially stable now. She wants me to focus on myself. And she's ashamed that I've lost part of my teenage years to working for the family. She's talked to me about quitting one of my two jobs.

At first, I was reluctant. Since not all that money was going to us. It was also going to me for moving out. If she asked me to do this a few months ago, I wouldn't listen to her. But now that I am near to my goal, I can make enough just by working at Chloe's Ice Cream Parlor. It was obvious to choose K-Mart to quit. That place fucking blows.

She was right though about saying I would feel better if I do this. I do feel better. I feel less pressure and have more free time now. It's even showing me the side of not leaving Highland Park in the fall.

I was planning on leaving because of my father. It was selfish to leave my Mom. But I knew that if I left, she'd have the courage to leave him too. She only stayed with him to keep us as a "family." But with me going, nothing is keeping her to stay as well.

But things have changed. Since he's left sooner than I thought, I have the urge to stay. Plus, I have people here now. Although Xavier, Jade, and Sydney are leaving for college soon. Their home town is still here and I can see them on holiday.

Most of all, I have Billie. She's the best thing that's happened to me in a long time. And living here a little longer doesn't sound like hell when she's around.

"Here's my two-week notice," I hand an envelope to my boss.

"It's sad to see you go, Maddie," he frowns then tucks the envelope under the stacks of papers on his desk.

"It means a lot for letting me work here, helped a lot," I smile at him.

"Anytime," he nods.

I smile at him once more than exit the drafty office. I collect my things and head to my car. My Mom is working late tonight meaning she won't be cooking dinner tonight. And hell, I do not feel like cooking for myself. I decide to pick up some food.

There's this old diner close by, I've been there a few times and it was damn good.

I drive out of the parking lot and make my way to the diner. I feel fucking disgusting, still in my work uniform and my hair sitting on top of my head. But I couldn't care less, food is all I'm thinking about right now.

A few minutes pass and I pull into a small, empty parking lot in front of the small diner. It's a fairly old building with blue and pink accents, supposed to be the 60s themed.

I open the door and see only an old woman at the bar, polishing coffee mugs. She's wearing a ratty pink apron with a sad look on her face. I wish this place would get more business, it's most definitely underrated.

I sit at the bar and the woman looks up from the mugs. "What can I get you dear?" she asks sweetly with a kind smile. I can hear a bit of a southern accent in her voice.