we'll be okay

y/n stared down at the pregnancy test, water filling her eyes; another negative. she and peter had been married for 3 years now, and still haven't been able to get pregnant. y/n wiped the tears out from under her eyes, looking at her reflection in the mirror, and all she saw was a failure. "why can't i just get pregnant?" she whimpered under her breath. 

"i'm back from patrol, love! i picked up some take out!" peter called from the front door, his voice care free and happy, as it normally was after a good day of patrol. y/n took one last look at the negative on the test, before chucking it into the bin next to the sink, not wanting to see it ever again. wiping her cheeks one last time, she called back "i'm in the bathroom, i'll be out in a sec!". taking a deep breathe, she stepped out of the bathroom, plastering a smile on her face. 

"hello, baby, how was patrol?" she asked sitting down at the table, across from peter. "y/n, love, have you been crying?" peter's smile dropped when he saw the red tint in her eyes, that only appeared when she had cried. y/n's eyes flooded once again, "no, i'm just having allergies, don't worry". she picked up the fork and stuck it into the take out box, stuffing food in her mouth to avoid more questions. peter watched his wife, soul filling with empathy. "darling, come here, tell me what's wrong" his voice was like butter, smooth and soft. 

that's when y/n lost it. she rushed into his open arms, letting them drape over her. "just another negative" she said, pulling away from peter to wipe the snot off her face with her sleeve. "oh, y/n, it's okay" peter said, but y/n could hear the disappointment in his voice. "i'm sorry, peter, i'm sorry i can't give you what you want" y/n choked out between sobs. 

"love, you are all i want" peter muttered into her shoulder.  "but peter, when i see you playing with ned's kids, i see how much you want your own". "sure, i want them, but if we can't have kids, then i will manage, okay? you are all i need in life, don't ever forget that. kids would just be a bonus" peter pulled away so he could look y/n straight into the eyes when telling her that, wanting every word to sink in. "i love you, pete" "i love you more darling".