Chapter 3 - Urokodaki's story

Even in your dream your remembered the story Urokodaki told you...  

A long time ago lived a boy with beautiful blue eyes lavender. He was a serious young man and he gave good advice to those who needed it, in short, he was an angel with a heart of gold. His master gave him a warding mask,  these masks were given to young swordsmen when they trained. The ornament meant you were worthy for the final selection and they were supposed to be charged with a spell to ward off danger.

Unfortunately, when it was time to pass the last stage of his test to become a demon slayer, he met the hand-demon. That demon wasn't that big at first, but he sure did grew as the years passed due to the amount of people he ate during many years. While trying to kill him with his katana, his blade broke because of the hand-demon's thick neck and he lost his life by the Demon's hands.   

A few years before, a young girl with deep dreamy cyan eyes and black hair that came down to her shoulders decided to pass her final selection too. Her master gave her a warding mask and then she arrived at the battle field. She was a quiet, kind and patient kind of person. Although Makomo didn't have much power, her agility since was able to evade most of his attacks, but that still didn't save her from her tragic destiny. The hand-demon ripped off her limbs and she died in a very painful way.  

The master was very sad about the news because he considered these future to be slayers as his own kids. 

Their death broke many hearts but we will still remember them.  

--- 

* you woke up in the middle of the night * 

Y/N : ( whispering voice ) Tanjiroooo... Pstt.. Tanji... TANJIRO 

Tanjiro : ( sleepy voice, still in his dreams ) I'll be right there... * yawns *... Just... 2 more minutes Takeo... 

Who is Takeo ? you thought to yourself. Since he Tanjiro wasn't even close to wake up, a little walk near the house could not bother anyone. Except, you had to be very careful because the demons are active at night. 

Maybe tonight would be an excellent opportunity to start making my first lantern ? You took all of the material you bought outside and sat on the grass near Urokodaki's home. After you finished making the base of the lantern, you glued the fabric to the small pieces of wood that served as a support. The lantern was perfectly done, but the only thing that was missing was the painting on the surface of the cloth. You went back to the house and while opening the door you saw Tanjiro on the other side. 

Y/N : OH GOD! you scared me ! You complained. 

Tanjiro : sorry about that, it's just some light woke me up. You know its dangerou- 

You cutted him off by taking his hand and the paint as you both went outside. 

Y/N: Look, this is my first lantern ever ! It's really good for a beginner like me ! You said so proud by your masterpiece. 

Tanjiro : Wow, you really do have your place in your family with all this talent ! He gently smiled while saying this. 

Y/N : You think so ? 

Tanjiro : Of course I do, you are worthy even when you weren't able to do lanterns. It's just family is something very important because they are the closest people to you and you basically live with them everyday. I start to feel bad for dragging you Y/N into all of this, if I didn't said hi that day you wouldn't been here sleeping in a random house with a boy selling charcoal. 

Y/N: Are you for real ! You are the only one who made me live my life to it's fullest, without you I would of been probably being caged in my own house. 

Tanjiro : Alright then, but soon promise me you'll go back home ? 

Y/N : I promise. Now let's start drawing ! 

You painted a giant fox with two kids on his back and that sure did caught your friend's attention. 

Tanjiro : You are thinking about them too huh ? 

Y/N : I don't think the story that Urokodaki told us is made up. I could tell by his body language that he was sad and he just went to bed after...  

Tanjiro : You got a point, but let's just go back to sleep too it's late and demons are literally everywhere. 

Y/N: don't worry, my lantern will protect you, Urokodaki and me. 

Tanjiro : How ? 

Y/N : About that... Tanjiro, I discoved something... The lantern I did was created with my dream and some memories. I felt like I was radiating some energy into the object while fabricating it, isn't that amazing ? 

Tanjiro : You really are magical, he said with his usual smile that could warm anybody's heart.  

 Looks like you've discovered your family's secret by yourself I'm proud of you Y/N. 

You two started a campfire and starred at the stars.

Thank you for helping me Tanjiro.