chapter 5

"Uhh...", Owen stuttered as his eyes found Amelia's, who was staring at him in surprise. He could not look at anyone else right now, especially not at Teddy. "Just keep it where it is, I will take care of it soon.", he replied. "Gotta go now, bye Jerry!", he sighed.

"Bye Owen! Just tell your girlfriend that you still love your ex.", the redhead's friend suggested, hoping to do Owen a friendly favor in making the decision for him.

"You just did.", Teddy answered loud enough for Jerry to hear and quickly hang up the phone.

"Help me.", her boyfriend mouthed to Amelia, pleading with his eyes. The whole table was silent. Nobody knew what to say after this call, until Teddy spoke up again.

"Why would you say that you love me when you're still in love with Amelia?", she wanted to know with tears in her eyes. "Look at me, Owen Hunt!", the blonde demanded angrily, causing him to sit back down and turn to her.

"Seriously, she has moved on!", Link pointed out. "Right, babe?", he asked her to agree, but didn't receive any answer. "Right, babe?", he tried again, repeating his words.

"I need to get Leo upstairs. There is no good reason why he would have to be in the middle of this.", Amelia figured, getting herself out of this uncomfortable situation as she disappeared into the hallway.

"I think you just got your answer.", Tom addressed Atticus boldly, but was scolded by a very motherly glace from Meredith.

"I asked you something.", Teddy reminded Owen, taking her glass and finishing her second wine. Her ex reached for the now empty glass to fill it again and gave it back to the cardio surgeon, who took it gratefully. "Thank you, Tom!"

"Owen, at least be fair enough right now to reply to your girlfriend's question!", Maggie meddled into the conversation, still pissed by what Jackson had done to her and therefore easily able to understand how her colleague was feeling.

"Because she broke up with me.", the trauma surgeon finally answered.

"That is the reason?!", Teddy wondered in shock. "It is not even that you had to choose and thought I was the right choice, but you simply got together with me because Amelia was not available anymore?"

"You gave birth to our baby, I thought this would be reason enough for us to be a couple. And it is not like I haven't loved you for years, Teddy!", Owen tried to defend himself.

"But there is a difference between loving someone and being in love with a person.", Carina explained to the redhead. "You should have known that!"

"So, I am still just a friend or what?", the cardio surgeon asked seriously. "A friend you are kissing from time to time, so that it won't once again seem as if you are an old and lonely man!", she realized, heartbroken.

"Yes. And I am sorry about that, Teddy. You will never be more than my best friend.", the trauma surgeon apologized, which Teddy of course ignored. He had been her everything, but apparently she didn't mean as much to him.

"I need a minute!", the blonde announced before she stormed out of the room and into the bathroom. Amelia slipped through the door fast enough, so her friend couldn't close it and locked it herself. "I should have known."

"You couldn't know.", the brunette corrected. "I truly thought he was in love with you, too. I'm sorry!", she said.

"Why are you sorry, Amelia? You didn't play me like he did. We weren't a couple.", Teddy cried and went to hug the neurosurgeon for comfort. They stood like that for a while, not saying anything. But it didn't take the cardio surgeon long to guess what her friend was trying to tell her. "Unless you are still in love with him, too.", she whispered and broke the hug to look into Amelia's ashamed eyes. "Don't be sorry to me, you didn't act on it. Be sorry to Link for having lied to him."