Chapter Sixteen/The Confession

Kai's POV

"I. . . I don't know what to say Kai. . . Other than yes I will except this promise ring and be your girlfriend. You have no idea how long I waited for you to say those words" I slipped the ring on her finger feeling relieved that she agreed to be my girlfriend and that she felt the same. "It was my grandmothers ring. She gave it to me before she passed away a few years ago. You have no idea how long Kyung Mi, I waited for the day to call you mine again". No more than I had said those words we both leaned in our lips touching like a magnetic pull. The kiss was everything I had ever dreamed of. It was sweet full of compassion and longing. But most importantly my heart felt full, it felt warm. A feeling that I had been longing for. Sparks of electricity ran through my body as we kissed.

We pulled away feeling breathless a laugh escaping our lips. "T-That was magical". Kyung Mi said with a smile. I smiled taking her hand in mine. "Yeah, it was magical. I'm glad to call you mine So Kyung Mi". I had never felt this happy in my life. I felt like I was on cloud nine and there was no way of bringing me down.

I was taken out of my thoughts when I heard a scuffle sound behind me. I looked behind me to see Chen running off and D.O looking confused. "I'll go after him, I'll be back". I nodded worried as Chen was fading out of sight. "What's going on?" Kyung Mi asked looking up at me as I watched him chase after Chen. "I don't know". I whispered.

. . .

D.O's POV

I grabbed onto Chen's sleeve turning him around. He looked angry but relaxed when he seen me. "Chen, what's gotten into you what's going on?" I asked worried by his behavior. It wasn't like him to lose his cool. "It's nothing D.O can you watch them? Suddenly I'm not feeling well". I knew Chen well to know when he was lying and this was one of them. "Chen I know you're not sick. What's going on?" I asked my voice more stern. Chen sighed looking at the ground. "If I told you, you'd think I was stupid". He said with a sigh. "I won't think you're stupid. What's on your mind?"

"I've liked Kyung Mi ever since early high school. Once she started liking Kai, I told her that I would give her up for him. But I never gotten over her and every time I see them I wish it was me she liked. Like I said it's stupid". He ran a hand through his hair.

"It's not stupid, you're in love and you did the right thing by giving her up. I know letting go of someone you love is hard, but there are plenty of other women out there. One who will love you for you. Believe me I know you'll find the one she's out there somewhere". Chen gave me a sad smile nodding. "Maybe the one is out there, but Kyung Mi was the one for me. But I'll try to move on from her". Chen spoke. "Come on let's finish our mission".

. . .

Kai's POV

We watched as D.O and Chen returned walking towards us. "Everything okay?" I asked looking between my best friends. "Yeah, sorry I wasn't feeling good. But I'm better now". Chen said with a smile. Something seemed off between them, but I didn't dare ask. "Kyung Mi has to get home so I'll be heading home too". They nodded before following us from a distance.

"Kai, I wanted to thank you for tonight. I had a good time. I'll see you tomorrow in class goodnight". "Goodnight Kyung Mi. I had a wonderful night with you too. See you bright and early". I watched as Kyung Mi shut the door behind her before following my friends back home. "Chen, you okay? You haven't been yourself lately". I asked worried as he was silent on the way home. "I'm fine, just a lot on my mind". I knew Chen better than myself and I knew there was more than he was letting on.

"Chen, I know something is up. Lately whenever I'm around you, I sense something off between us, but I never knew why or what. Have I done something to upset you?" As he looked at me I could see the anger in his eyes. Which worried me because I hadn't done anything wrong. Chen shook his head with a sigh. "You don't know do you?" He asked his voice shaky. I looked at him confused. "Know what?" I looked between him and D.O. "I never wanted to tell you because you're my best friend, but I can't hold it in. For years I have liked Kyung Mi but I was scared to get rejected by her. But then you came into the picture and swept her off her feet. I tried accepting you guys being together. I tried moving on, but I'm reminded that you're together. I said my confession, but at the moment I don't think I can be around you. Take care". Chen slowly walked away my heart feeling heavy once again.

"Chen! Chen!" I shouted at him, but my feet wouldn't move. I watched as he climbed onto his motorcycle and drove off. How had I not known that he liked Kyung Mi? Did I really steal her away from my best friend? I'm literally the worst friend in history. "Kai-"Not now D.O. I want to be left alone". I walked into the apartment headed straight to my room. Immediately I got my notebook out and started writing in it.

I never thought of
Myself as mean
Let alone a thief
But you brand
Me as this traitor
You've known me
For years that isn't
Really me I've been
Loyal to you yet in
Return my name is
Dirt to you. Long years
Of friendship that now I
Am the bad guy after all...

That concludes the end of chapter sixteen of Red Heart. So Chen finally confessed. What was your favorite part? Tell me in the comments your thoughts. What do you think will happen next? I want to thank everyone for reading and supporting this book. It truly means a lot. I can't thank you enough. Don't forget to vote and comment. Your feedback means a lot to me.

Don't forget to stay awesome and until next time ✌️