Chapter-3

From above the fortress, Arta could vividly see how the Arab army had tricked them. Her heart was racing so fast and breathing seemed difficult. They couldn't shoot their arrows anymore as they might hit their own soldiers. Archers left to join the king and other knights protecting the gate. Arta searched for her father. The king was on his horse swaying his sword, killing and injuring the enemy's soldiers. Arta ran down the stairs to join them. She was about to leave the fortress when someone grabbed her arm.

It was Abtin.

"What are you doing?" Arta asked angrily. "Let go of my hand, I have to go." Struggling to free herself from Abtin's hands she could see through the open gates that things are quickly changing to their disadvantage.

"Close the gates" Abting shouted to the few soldiers remaining behind.

"No!" Arta shouted. "Are you crazy? Your king is out there." She said with anger and confusion.

She couldn't understand what was happening. Why Abtin had ordered to close the gates. She was still struggling to free herself from Abtin's firm grip, but he was much stronger than her.

"We should leave Shahzadeh" Abtin said with a cold voice.

"No, we cannot leave them behind. We should help them. Let go of my hand. You are a coward for leaving your king behind." she was shaking and his amber eyes were red from anger.

"Listen to me!" Abtin shouted at her and shook her vigorously to make her come to her senses.

"This is the king's order. You should come with me to the palace. We don't have much time Shahzadeh." He let go of her wrist to bring her horse closer.

"King's order?" Arta whispered to herself, confused. She knew Abtin was a person that she can trust but still why they should leave?

"This is a lost battle and the king knew the chances of winning this war are low. He ordered me to protect you. You should obey your father and come with me"

Arta was speechless. Her mind was full of thoughts and different emotions. Looking back at the closed gates grief filled her heart.

"What about my father and Kian?" She mumbled.

"Don't worry about them. The royal knights will protect them. Kian is one of the best warriors. We need to leave now Shahzadeh." Abtin said softly trying to convince Arta to leave.

Abtin took advantage of her hesitation and helped her to get on her horse while Arta was still looking at the closed gates and crying silently.

***

Arta and Abtin rode as fast as possible to the palace. On their way to the palace, they saw that most of the people have already fled from the city and the rest are in their houses with their door and windows closed.

It was a sad scene. The glamourous capital of Persia is now looked sad and soulless. The crowded streets and bazaars are empty and lifeless.

Palace looked deserted as well. There were just a few guards and maids here and there. Abtin was shouting and giving orders to the guards to secure the gates and to the maids and other palace residences to leave the palace.

After a few hours of crying and thinking on the way back to the palace, she decided to be helpful at least at the palace. She followed Abtin around and help him with arrangements in order to protect the palace.

Although Abtin had argued long enough with Arta to leave the palace before it becomes too late, Arta had refused profoundly. She wanted to stay until she receives news about her father and brother. She was certain that a messenger will soon come to inform them about the situation on the battlefield, something that Abtin was greatly doubtful about but did not have the heart to mention it to her.