Chapter-16

The feast day had finally arrived. Khadijeh had ordered several beautiful and expensive Arabic style dresses for Arta.

"WOW, these are the finest dresses I have ever seen. These are unique and made for princesses and high borns." Nahla said while touching the fabrics of the dresses.

Although the colors were vibrant and full of shinny pieces, Arta could not bring herself to wear those dresses. She thought if she wears those Arabic dresses it will show that she has submitted to their enemy's request. Besides, what will her father say if he sees her with these clothes, it would be so embarrassing.

"I'll not wear any of these dresses. You can return them to Khadijeh." Arta said to Nahla.

"What? No, you should not return these beauties."

"Ok, then you can have them."

"oh, I wouldn't dare." Nahla said looking shocked.

"Then do whatever you want with them. I'll not wear them."

Nahla hugged the clothes and took them to the changing room and carefully put them on one of the shelves. She knew that Arta will need them someday.

Arta considered this feast as an opportunity to show herself to the Arab world and whoever might be their guests in this feast as a strong Persian princess who has not bowed her head to the enemy.

She decided that she will even ask Sultan to let her leave the palace to see what is going on with her people and is their situation as bad as what Pirbaba had said. She wanted to be more present and useful for her people until her father came back.

After taking a bath she decided to wear one of her best clothes to the feast. She chose a pale violet V-neck dress with several layers of silk and organza. The dress had a medium train hanging from her shoulders. The sleeveless dress had a low back and was revealing her fine and beautiful back. The dress was simple with no embroidery except for a ribbon tied around her waist with golden lotus embroideries.

She chose a sandal with golden laces to wear with the dress. She adjusted a hairband with golden threats loosely on her hair. Nahla brought the chest of jewelry in front of Arta to choose something from there but Arta shook her head in refusal.

Arta was thinking about her mother's necklace. How could she lose such a precious thing?

"I've lost a very precious necklace Nahla." She said out of blue "It was my mom's. I wish I still had it."

"Tell me how it looked like maybe I could find it for you." Nahla said kindly when she saw the sadness in Arta's eyes.

"It was the most elegant necklace I'd ever seen, a combination of pearl and turquoise." Arta said, already feeling better for sharing this loss with someone.

Arta was checking herself in the mirror for the last time. Her long curly and shiny hairs were partially covering her back and her golden ribbon belt highlighted her narrow waist.

Nahla looked a bit concern, jumping from one foot to another. Arta finally asked "What is it Nahla? Is there something wrong?"

"You look like an angel Arta, so dreamy and elegant. But.." She hesitated.

"What is it? You can tell me whatever it is."

"It's your dress."

"What about it?" She checked herself again in the mirror. The dress was perfect.

"Please don't become angry but I think you need to change to something that covers your skins more."

Arta raised one of her eyebrows.