Chapter-15

Arta went back to her chambers and dismissed Nahla. She wanted to think about what Pirbaba had said to her. Her best hope was her father's arrival as soon as possible. No one else other than her father could save Persia and Persians.

It was almost noon when Nahla knocked and entered the room. "Are you ready to go for lunch?" Nahla asked.

"I'll eat in my room." Arta was lying down on a day bed by the window.

"But it is not possible." Nahla said looking uneasy.

"What do you mean?" She frowned and sat up.

"Umm, the thing is that Prince has requested to have lunch with you in the dining room."

Arta hissed angrily "I will not eat lunch with him" and she lied down again and crossed her arms.

"Oh please Arta, don't make me go and tell him you disobey him." Nahla pleaded.

"Do whatever you want, I won't eat with him." Arta said stubbornly.

Nahla rushed toward Arta and knelt by the day bed "Please Arta I would lose my job or even my head. Please!" She locked her hands in front of her and pleaded to Arta.

"You won't lose your job or your head. I promise you that. As I said I'll eat lunch here in this room. End of story."

Nahla sighed and walked out of the room. She was so nervous. "The prince will kill me. Ya Allah help me!" she walked toward Osman's room with shaky legs.

"Come in!" Osman said following the knock on the door.

"My prince." Nahla bowed.

"What is it?"

Her gaze was on the floor "Princess Arta said that she will have lunch at her room." She pressed her eyes waiting for waves if his anger to wash her down.

After a long pause, Osman said "Very well then. Make arrangements to have our lunch at her room." his voice was deadly cold.

"He is going to kill Arta at the lunch table" Nahla shivered by this thought. She bowed and left the room.

She knew better not to go and inform Arta of the prince's decision. She went straight to the kitchen to inform Khadijeh.

Khadijeh was rushing around in the kitchen giving orders and helping with the lunch preparations.

Nahla informed Khadijeh of the Osman's decision.

Khadijeh closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "you two!" Khadijeh pointed to two of the maids "Go and take the smaller table in the dining room to the princess's room."

"No, wait. You can't do that now." Nahla stopped them and turned to Khadijeh.

"The princess does not want to eat lunch with our prince and I'm afraid if we take things one by one to her room she will find a way to flee her room before lunch and that will make the prince angry. We don't want to make him angry, do we?" Nahla said almost whispering to Khadijeh.

"Good point. What is your suggestion then?"

"We should take everything simultaneously as close as possible to the lunchtime, even at the same time."

"Is she really that stubborn about not eating lunch with Prince?" Khadijeh asked looking surprised.

"You have no idea." Nahla rolled her eyes.

"Ok, then we'll do as you said."

After a few minutes that everything was ready, a line of maids all carrying something in their hands were going upstairs toward Arta's room.