Chapter-20

When Arta went back to her room that night, she could not believe that he had let Osman kissed her and now she had a bracelet on her wrist gifted by him.

She liked the bracelet, she touched it and smiled, but deep down she was feeling guilty. "This cannot happen, I should not have any feelings for him. Oh God please help me!" she threw herself on the bed, covered her face with her hand, and started crying.

She was exhausted from the constant battle of her mind and heart. She didn't know what to do and guilt was the only feeling that she had. She always knew that one day she would marry a prince or a king but this prince whose army had destroyed her country, her family and her life, how could she marry him? But her heart was telling her something else.

She had a terrible headache. She shut her eyes and tried to clear her mind "I'll think about it tomorrow." She took several deep breaths and tried to calm herself. She listened to the crickets singing outside till she fell asleep.

***

She was sitting in her favorite spot in the balcony watching the sun setting behind the mountains. She felt an arm wrapping around her shoulder. It was her father King Darian. He was smiling at her.

"baba?" she was surprised. She knew her father was dead. She started to cry. "How are you baba? Tell me how are you? are you alright?"

Her father kissed her head "Why are you crying my child? Didn't I told you several times that you become ugly when you cry?" he laughed, and she also laughed between her cries.

"Are you alright baba?"

"I'm fine Arta. Don't worry about me anymore, I'm in a better place." He looked happy, healthy, and slightly younger than the last time she met him on the battlefield.

She was not able to stop her tears from falling. "Baba why did you leave me?"

"I have not left you Arta. I'm here. I'm with you all the time, watching over you! Don't ever for a moment think that I have left you."

Arta war still crying and begging her father not to leave her.

"I want you to be strong Arta. Our people need you."

"What? What do you mean? I don't have any power, I'm practically a prisoner here."

"You can improve your situation. Be wise Arta and think of the people who I failed to protect. Help them."

"Baba don't leave me please baba." She was crying so hard and begging her father not to leave her.

***

"Baba, baba, please!" Ara was crying in her sleep.

"Princess wake up!" Khadijeh was shaking her shoulder.

"What..what happened?" Arta suddenly woke up. Her pillow was soaked with tears.

"You were dreaming princess."

"Why are you here?" she was still confused.

"I was turning off the lanterns on the corridor when I heard you cry. I knocked but you did not reply. So, I got worried and came in."

"Ah OK, thanks." She was still looking lost and distressed.

"Do you want me to stay for a bit with you princess?"

"No, you can leave."

Khadijeh poured her a glass of water and placed it in her hand. She bowed and left. When she closed the door, she walked straight to the other side of the corridor and knocked. She knocked again and finally, a sleepy voice said to come in.