The Best Gift Is The One That Isn't Recieved {1}

Christmas Special

Author's Note: Merry Christmas! I hope you enjoy your day and spend lots of time with your family and friends. I've had this idea for a while now but never got the chance to write it so I decided to write over the first week of the Christmas holidays and publish it on Christmas. I hope you enjoy this story!

(It was originally going to be a one-shot but as I was writing it, it got really long so I decided to make it two parts.)

***

Christmas was only a week away, and Denny and Russell had already decorated the scrapyard and placed their presents under the tree. It was the Autobots' first Christmas and were still learning their traditions, such as decorating their quarters and writing Christmas cards to each other, but there was one Mini-con who wanted to do more.

Jetstorm entered Russell's room as the boy was wrapping a box, he didn't know what was inside it, and he didn't really want to know. The Mini-con just approached Russell without him noticing.

"Um...Commander Russell?" Jetstorm asked with made the boy jump, he then turned around swiftly and sighed in relief when he saw the black Mini-con.

"Oh, Jetstorm you startled me," he told him.

"Sorry, I just wanted to know what you were doing," Jetstorm said with interest.

"Oh, well I'm wrapping the present that I got for Sideswipe," Russell replied. "It's a bottle of the new armour polish and he's been wanting to try it ever since it came out."

"So, you buy something that the human or bot really wants, then wrap it in this colourful paper?"

Russell added the last bit of tape before responding. "It doesn't have to be bought with money, it could be found or even made. And whether the person or bot likes it or not, they'll know that you put a lot of effort into it."

"Did you buy everyone's presents?" Jetstorm asked.

"No, only a couple, around half of them were made using stuff around the scrapyard, I don't have the money to afford things for everyone." Russell picked up the box and allowed Jetstorm to view it. It did intrigue the Mini-con as he noticed the tag and began reading it.

To Sideswipe

Merry Christmas

From Russell

"So Jetstorm, why do you ask anyway?" Russell asked him.

Jetstorm looked up at him then smiled awkwardly. "Well...I was thinking about...making something for...Master Drift."
He closed his optics knowing it was a bad idea, he just thought it would be something nice to do for his Master after everything he has done for him.

"That's a great idea," Russell told him causing him to open his optics and smile. "And if you want, I could help, and my Dad would be happy to let you use stuff from around the scrapyard." He paused for a moment. "As long as it isn't vintage... or a collectable."

"Thank you, Commander Russell." Jetstorm bowed in front of him then dashed out to find his partner. The boy just smiled and folded his arms as he watched the Mini-con depart.

~~~~

Jetstorm was in his quarters with his brother Slipstream and their human friends, Denny and Russell. Drift was meditating so there was no way that Drift would discover them while they were making this.

Whilst Slipstream drew a picture of their idea, Jetstorm described what he wanted it to include. Some of these ideas included weapons, energon and other things Cybertronian. They weren't sure what to make, but they knew that it had to be good for Drift to accept it.

After around thirty minutes of planning, they finally decided on what they were going to make. A frame with a picture of the three of them in it.

It had to be bigger than the ones Denny and Russell owned so that Drift could easily hold it. They had seen Grimlock make something like that before but they didn't like the outcome. To be honest, the Dinobot didn't seem to like it either, but he covered it up by telling them it was 'just a practice'.

Slipstream held up his sketch, it wasn't the best but it was good enough to make out. At least he didn't brag about being an artist when he clearly wasn't one.

Russell stared at the drawing then thought for a moment before speaking. "Jetstorm, Slipstream, are you sure you're going to be able to do this? You've never done anything like this before and we don't have much time."

"Besides, where are you going to get a picture of Drift with you two? He'll never agree to take one," Denny added.

Jetstorm looked at his partner with a worried expression. Slipstream hated to see his best friend like this so he smiled and nodded. "We still have six days until Christmas, that is enough time to make the frame, even if it means failing before we succeed." Jetstorm looked up at Slipstream. "And as for the photo, we will find a solution, but the frame is the main objective."

"Okay... Well, feel free to use anything around the Scrapyard, but I want you to promise me something," Denny said to the Mini-cons.

"What?" they asked in unison.

He walked up to them and looked into their optics. "I want you to promise me that you won't believe that Drift only accepts things that are perfect. Especially something like a Christmas gift. You are allowed to make mistakes."

Jetstorm sighed when Denny said that. It reminded him of the time when he had gotten his leg caught in the tank's entrance hatch and Drift caught him in the last minute, shielding him as the machine exploded.

"I apologize to you for the inconvenience of catching me. I shall depart now, never to-"

"Wait. You left because you polished my sword improperly?"

"I knew you would be angered, so to spare us both the embarrassment of my termination, I left."

"Never make assumptions, pupil. Mistakes are part of learning. You left without word or reason. That is what angered me."

Slipstream once again looked at Jetstorm. He knew what happened to his partner that day. If Jetstorm had freed himself a second later then he would have been destroyed. Or if Drift hadn't caught him then he would have been too close and without protection. The red Mini-con was blown back by the explosion but wasn't as close as his partner, so he didn't need help. Drift then taught them that it was okay to make mistakes, but after telling them that, he doesn't seem to listen to himself.

They both shared a look of confidence before nodding.

"We Promise."