Scene 9 - The hospital's blackout

The hospital's power supply has been struck. Panic and screaming in the wards, with nurses and doctors scrabbling around. Visitors and the staff desperately attempt to find sources of light; torches off their phone, candles being lit from candles via their lighters (for some reason they're in hospitals), some objects creating a chemical reaction and that being used. The life support systems have been shut down – jeopardizing every life that relies upon it. Every life in the hospital is in danger, hanging off a thread of life. Sherlock, John and Mycroft head through the wards, Sherlock marching through it with the other two trailing behind. They reach back at Catherine and Timothy finally, the two panicking and freaking out. Molly rushing around the wards too, like everyone else as flocks of sheep.

Molly:

SHERLOCK!

Catherine:

Sherlock, what on earth has happened?

Sherlock:

We've been struck.

Molly:

The hospital has its own generators if they've been hit too...

Sherlock:

Molly, I know. Those in critical conditions really need it. Then we need to check the generators and see what the damage has been done. And if we can turn it back on.

John:

Sherlock, the monitors. Look at the monitors.

The computer screens across the hospital, the entirety of London's monitors present one simple message that flashes up across the black screens, another message highlighted in blue with thick white font writing, reading, "Electricity has been ceased. And the government will kneel down to the power players. £40 billion will be received to us at midnight tomorrow. If our warnings are not met, the darkness will see no end".

Sherlock:

£40 billion?

Molly:

The government have got to give them the billions. If not then...

Sherlock:

Yes, Molly.

Mycroft:

Well we don't even know who they are yet. And if we could, then, of course, we could end this farrago and get the lights back on.

John:

Our mobile phones aren't going to last forever. The only things that are lit still are the battery-powered objects and items that create a chemical reaction. Or candles. Like the Lady and the Lamp.

Sherlock:

Right. Molly, you need to show us the generators and see if we can fix them. Mycroft, you come with me. I want you where I can see you. John, you try and get a hold of the Inspector.

Molly, Sherlock and Mycroft leave. John and Catherine light their phones back up to make calls and turn their torches on.

Timothy:

Just like the ye oldy days, right?

Catherine:

Yeah. Can't even look up what's going on without the internet.

Timothy:

From out there, I think London has just gone down. The entire city. Gone.

We see a vision of the globe the United Kingdom, and the south-east almost completely darkened with no light whatsoever as London's entire supply has been shut down. Now, back at the hospital, John returns to the bed after a discussion on the phone with the Inspector.

John:

You're right. The whole of London's power has gone. And Sherlock seems to think it leads back down to the cables you found heading into the sewers.

Catherine:

Then what's taking him so long?

John:

As Tim was beaten practically beaten to a pulp, we need armed forces down there. Sherlock thinks that we could face anything down there.

Timothy:

But a power supply big enough to shut down the entirety of London?

John:

That's what Sherlock thinks. And he also says that the cables lead around to every generator around the city, that's how it has shut down all the energy. And the experts don't think anything is wrong, that it looks normal.

Timothy:

Then how long will the squad be rounded up by the Inspector? With London a standstill if there aren't traffic lights working.

John:

No idea. Be quicker to walk to Westminster Bridge he says. Sherlock will sort out the problem though, of the generators I mean.

Catherine:

Do you always do what Sherlock says?

He crosses his arms defensively.

John:

Yeah. Why? He's my friend. Of course, I would.

Catherine looks at her vibrating phone and sees that her brother calls.

Catherine:

God, it's Cian. Knowing him he's probably having a fit at home that the computer isn't working.

Timothy:

This I must see.

She answers the call.

Catherine:

What do you want, Cian?

His home hasn't been affected by the power cut. His radiator and heating are on nice and toasty for his home, with the dangling lightbulb still sparking its light. And the computers are still working perfectly well, as he surfaces on the news websites whilst he shouts excitedly, rudely and loudly at the same time down the mobile.

Cian:

Oi! Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god! The web is going wild about the blackout! Guessing you don't have your boyfriend to cry on because he's dying without a life support system.

Timothy:

Then let me out of bed and then you'll see how much fun I am.

Cian:

God. He's so rude like his girlfriend. Must have been a perfect match. No, but his sister is the definition of rude.

Catherine:

Yeah. This is what I mean about our parents. You must still have your computer and lights working because otherwise, you'd be crying like a baby that you lost your progress on Happy Wheels. Anything to help find what is wrong with the lights will be appreciated.

Cian:

Believe it or not, I am actually trying to find what is wrong with the city. Perhaps I can try and locate where the source is coming from then.

Catherine:

For once you're actually doing something useful for us.

Cian:

I'm not doing it for you babes, I'm doing it to see your abusive boyfriend get angry at me. And when I get famous I saved London I can accuse him of assault. Sorry, got to go now honey, see you later. Lots of loves and kisses to your dying ex. Ok, bye.

He hangs up afterwards and begins typing through the software and programming somewhere on his computer. The nice person he is.