COPYCAT

"This is what we call a perfect murder people and take your aim in how you'd present your case to the judge. But to put a spin on things it's an appeals case and the hearing is tomorrow, therefore I want the report in by mid-day tomorrow" the lecturer told us.

Tomorrow?

"He's insane if he thinks we will be able to write a full report with arguments, precedent and case law to get a hypothetical person off of murder" Morgan complained to me and I nodded my head in agreement

"Stop with the groans and complaints people, a good lawyer uses all the time they are given to the best of their abilities. Each one of you will take a folder from the front on your way out which outlines the case, the facts and the person you are representing. Figure out a means of appeal to get them off the murder or at least a lesser sentence. Now get moving before you've run out of time"

Library here I come.

"What options have you explored?" I asked Morgan.

It's our fifth hour at the library since we got this task and I'm out of ideas. The accused doesn't have anything that could get them off the murder due to their past being littered with criminal convictions, but none have ever landed them in jail. Only some options that would minimise the sentence by a few years.

"I think all of them, I need a landmark case or some type of precedent to lower the sentence by more than five years but I'm yet to find it" I told Morgan "what about you?"

"Same boat as you Lexi. I can't with this anymore, I need a break" Morgan shut her laptop and stood up "I'm going to get a coffee and something to eat want to join?"

"I would but I've got to leave for work in an hour, so I'll stay and see what I can find. I'll text you if anything comes up"

"Suit yourself" she packed up her stuff and left.

I ended up leaving the library not soon after because my brain was absolutely fried. I couldn't sit in there any longer and read another case study that wasn't helpful in anyway.

I've accepted that I will fail this task because of its complexity and my inability to give two shits about the final product.

Twenty-four hours is such an unreasonable time to make up a whole defence case especially for a fake person on appeal.

"Hey Sam" I waved to him as I entered the store ready for my shift. God, I hope this goes quickly.

"Afternoon Lexi, can you come in the back for a moment please. We've uh- got to talk" he said awkwardly, his gaze never fully meeting mine.

Oh no, this is not good. This is not good at all.

"I just want to start by saying I'm sorry and hate to be the one to tell you. But uh—" he scratched the back of his neck hastily "the store is closing, and I've been instructed to let everyone off effective-immediately"

"Wow" was all I could say. I no longer have a job.

How am I going to survive? Sure I have some money saved but it's not going to last me forever.

"I'm really sorry Lexi, I hate to see you go. But even I'm losing my job too" Sam apologised sadly.

"It's not your fault" I sighed and dragged a hand through my hair "so is this my last shift?"

"Technically yes, but you don't even have to start it. You may leave if you want, it's not like we are busy anyway and I'll pay you for the hours just don't tell anyone" he winked.

"Thank you so much Sam" I nodded in appreciation and grabbed my bag to leave.

"Goodluck with your studies Lexi, you'll make a great lawyer" he smiled as I left.