all the good girls go to hell

You never realise how hard parenting is until you're in the position.

You always view your kids as angles, they could never do wrong. And all you want to do is protect them from harm.

I thought with the twins being at a good school they'd settle in nicely despite our circumstance.

But when I got a call from the principle in their second week of attending their new school requesting for me to come in and pick Aiden up because he's been suspended, the reality of parenting really set in.

I'm no longer just their sister.

I'm now their legal guardian and full-time parent.

Standing in the office, killing time, I was finally greeted by their new Principal, Mr Harmon.

I only met him once while Billie and I were checking out schools in the area. And if anything stuck with me, he was a zero tolerance, no bullshit, old school type of man.

And with the type of school he runs, there's no doubt it's pearly gated grounds are his most prized possession.

"Miss Hughes please come in, we've much to discuss about Aiden's behaviour"

"Please just call me Lexi" I told him, feeling uncomfortable from the formality "what's the damage? What did Aiden do?"

"What didn't he do?" Mr Harmon sighed and leant back in his seat "your brother seems to have quite the temper, and he got himself into a fight with other boys in the grade"

Aiden is temperamental but he's not the type of person to seek a fight.

"I know that Aiden does have a hard time managing his emotions and anger but please understand this year has been incredibly hard on us. And with the twins moving to a new state and school it's really terrifying to them. But I know that he wouldn't start a fight, so was he teased or aggravated in anyway?" I asked.

"Aiden is saying that the group of boys were teasing him, and the boy are saying he came onto them, which is why the group of boys have been given a week of detention. However, Aiden did cause a lot of damage to one particular boy, therefore I will have to suspend him for the remainder of the week. I've just sent him to get his books from his locker"

I'll have to get the story from Aiden and make sure he isn't lying by also asking Ava, but I know he'll tell me the truth. And I can bet my life savings that the group of boys were in fact teasing him.

But about what?

"I'll talk to him and make sure he realises his behaviour isn't acceptable, is there anything else?"

"Just check in on your sibling constantly and support them is all I can say Lexi. I understand your situation and commend you on your strength" he offered a smile and stood up to shake my hand.

"Thank you"

"Boy, you should know better" I began to tell lecture Aiden as he buckled himself into the front seat of the new second-hand car I bought last week "you're such a fool! Second week of school and your already suspended, what the hell happened?"

Aiden rolled his eyes and crossed his arms, huffing and puffing in his seat "it wasn't my fault" he grumbled lowly.

"And what makes you say that?"