Chapter 11- "You're Back"

While Tom is at work and I am home alone, I use the time to clean, even though there really isn't much to clean. Tom surprisingly keeps his flat in nice condition all of the time. I see a few blankets and a pillow on the couch, and realize that's where he must've slept last night. I'll be the one to take the couch tonight, though, no matter how much he argues or insists I can have it. He needs the bed. He's a working man. 

He texts me every so often throughout the day, though most of the time I just read the, and not bother to send a response. They're just texts informing me when he'll be home and such. By the time he does get home, there's a hot yet simple dinner on the stove, and I'm on the couch, wrapped in a blanket.

I watch as Tom drops off his things on the table, along with his jacket draped over the chair and his shoes on the floor. He looks happy as he sits next to me.

"Dinner smells great, sweet. I can't thank you enough."

"It's no problem. 

He stares at me for a while, knowing I still need space. It's as if he wants nothing more than to wrap me in his arms after the long day he's had and maybe nap a bit or something. But I don't know what he's thinking. Only he knows. 

"I'll get you a plate, yeah?" He asks. And before I can even thank him or maybe tell him I can get both of ours, he's on his feet and heading for the kitchen. I can control some things. But I can't control hs kindness. I could be completely avoiding him and he'll still be nice to me. That I know from experience. 

Four more days pass like this. We both wake up, have silent coffee, go to work, talk a bit, and head to bed- in separate rooms.

But on the fifth night, something changes. I feel a lot better. Almost how I was feeling back when things were okay. But, along with feeling better, I also feel guilty for how I've been treating Tom. He comes home from work a little more stressed each night. And tonight, it's the same. But despite being stressed from work, he comes in with a smile, as usual.

"I made your favourite dinner."

He smiles widely. "Thanks so much, Rose. You know you don't have to do that, but you do it anyway."

I smile back. "It's because I care for you. I want you to come home happy and you haven't seemed happy recently." I get to my feet and meet him where he stands, opening my arms. And then I hope. I hope we'll accept my hug, and I hope he'll know I'm serious about it. 

I feel him embrace me tightly, covering my body as if to protect me from something. It's practically the first physical contact since I've moved in with him. And something just... clicks.

"You're back," he whispers, squeezing me even tighter.

I laugh softly, clutching the fabric of his shirt. "I'm back."

Then he kisses me, holding my waist. It starts as a gentle kiss, but soon turns into something more. Something passionate, eager, and urgent. Like he really has missed me since I've been 'gone'. I gasp against him as I feel his hips against mine, and my hands find his hair. Each place his hands touch me -mainly my waist,  back, and cheeks- the touch is soft and filled with care, like he's putting his entire heart and soul through them and offering it to me. I can't really say what's gotten into me. I just feel a strong want for him. And my love for him? It's soaring as well, along with my heart.

"Tom..." I murmur in between kisses. "What about... Dinner?"

He groans and puts his hands right below my arse, lifting me up. I yelp and wrap my arms around his neck, giggling for a moment, and watching as he starts to carefully climb the stairs, up to his bedroom.