Chapter 4

~Wirt~

•••

Greg went bounding ahead, always full of energy. "Sooo...where we gonna have the picnic?" Greg asked hopefully as he slowed down so I could catch up.

"Well..." I considered telling him that it was gonna be a surprise but we were in the same boat. Anyways, I owed him the truth, still, after all these months. "I was thinking, we could go back to, ya know, the...erm...graveyard." I said, shooting Greg a nervous smile. "That okay with you?" I asked

"That would be great!" Greg said, winking at me in the way only Greg could.

"Alright, c'mon!" I cried happily, suddenly full of energy. Once we neared the cemetery, I stopped Greg behind a bush and dug our costumes out and showed them to him. His eyes lit up, and just then I became certain that he'd known my intentions for this 'picnic' all along. This comforted me and as I handed Greg his elephant costume. words started to fall into place in my head, a poem, and easily the happiest one I'd written in a long time.

We put our costumes on, for the most part anyways. I was still wearing my tan pants, since I didn't really want to change outside but we still looked pretty close to how we looked on that Halloween.

We entered the graveyard's gates walking over to the tree we'd climbed up on that night. I boosted Greg up, then pulled myself up onto the wall. As we reached the top I pulled my knees up to my chest, content just to sit there with Greg and Jason Funderberker, but the peace didn't last long. A few seconds later, we heard a noise coming from a ways down the wall. It sounded like shoes scraping against stone, after a curious moment of the sound, a girl who looked about my age pulled herself up onto the wall. Greg and I gasped and Jason croaked, causing her to look over to us. She looked surprised and let out a little yip, then jumped back off of the wall, running back through the graveyard.

"After her!" I called, jumping down too.

Greg wasn't far behind, yelling "Yeah! Get her!!"