Chapter 15

~Wirt~

•••

We drop down to the other side of the wall, landing a few feet short of the train tracks, sprawled out on the dry grass.

I lie there for a minute, staring at the sky. For a moment, it's peaceful but then Greg jumps into my range of vision and grabs my hand, trying to pull me up.

"C'mon, c'mon, c'mon!" He yells excitedly.

"Coming, coming, coming!" I say with a smile as I stand up and brush the grass off my pants. Wren is standing a few feet away, looking off into the forest, her hair blowing in the wind.

We start down the steep hillside, struggling to keep our footing. Greg has a huge smile plastered on his little face as he and Jason make their way down the hill.

After a few minutes of staring at nothing but the ground beneath our feet as we pick our way down the hill, I hear Wren let out a little shriek-like noise and look up, only to see her lose her footing on a bare patch of ground. I reach for her hand, but gravity pulls us both down, tumbling towards the bottom of the hill. I feel myself hit the ground, and then I black out.

---

"Ahh..." I groan, my eyes blinking open. My head...oww... I close my eyes again, hoping the pain will go away. When it doesn't I open my eyes again and sit up. I rub the back of my head, where a bump is starting to form, as I look around. I'm in the middle of the woods. Woods. The unknown! But why am I back? Wait...where's Greg? And someone else... I came here with two people... but who..?

I stand up and...straighten my hat? What? I wasn't wearing my hat! I'm starting to get really freaked out...

"Greg?" I call out, "Greg?"

"Hello?" A voice shouts back. It's not Greg's, I think disappointedly. I call back just the same, though. "Hello!" I yell as I walk in the direction of the voice. Out of the forest runs a girl. She doesn't look much older than me. And she's...familiar...

She looks at me strangely. "W-who are you?" She asks, tucking a strand of her reddish-brown hair behind her ear.

"I-I'm W-" I start to say, but I'm interrupted by Greg running into the clearing as fast as his slightly chubby little legs will carry him, Jason Funderberker under his arm. He crashes into my legs, and looks up at me. He's wearing his tea kettle on his head...and his overalls...he wasn't wearing those before, was he?

The girl looks down at Greg curiously, but as she opens her mouth to say something, Greg interrupts, "Oh, brother 'O mine!" He says happily, if a little out of breath, "C'mon, you gotta see what I found!"

Greg pulls me along, and the girl follows, hiking up her brown skirt so she can run.

We only run a short way before we come to a building. A cluster of buildings, actually. Pottsfeild!

"Look!" Greg says as we walk through the streets of the abandoned town. He points to a black cat perched on a fence post.

"Enoch!" The girl says, running up to it.

"Why look, you three have returned to Pottsfeild, ready to join us?" The black cat says, sounding amused.

"Uh...no, thank you." I say, recalling that all of the pumpkin people were really skeletons.

"Ah, someday, though..." Enoch says with a smile. "So if not to join us, what brings you back to our lovely little town?"

"Er...we're..." I sigh, "we're lost..." I say.

"Looking to make your way back home?" The cat asks.

Why are we here? Shouldn't we be trying to find our way back home? We aren't though. There's something we have to do here...

"No, we're...." The girl says, "..we're looking for my sister."

And that's when it hits me. I know this girl. Wren. Her name is Wren.

__________________

TA DA!! Look, a new chapter!!! Finally! I know this was a short chapter, but I'm just trying to get back into writing this. I'm liking where this is going, even though it's really cliche, but I hope you guys will still read and enjoy this story. After I get close to the end of this story I'll take Wander Through the Darkness off hold. I hope you guys are enjoying this and thank you for almost 1.87k reads!!

-Livy xxx