Chapter 10

~Wirt~

•••

After the last bell rings, I hurry to grab my things out of my locker, then I walk outside and around the school over to the Elementary extension of the school to pick up Greg from his classroom.

As we walk out of the school, I can see the girl from my English class, staring at me and Greg from the sidewalk.

Suddenly everything snaps together. The drawing of the beast, the look of surprise when she caught me looking at her drawing and now she's staring at me and Greg. This is the girl from the garden wall!

"C'mon, Greg." I say, determined. We start walking towards her, and she starts off in our direction.

"What are you doing, Writ?" Greg asked me, looking at me curiously.

I don't respond, I'm too focused on thinking of what to say. I haven't felt this brave or determined since we were in the Unknown...

In a few moments we meet in the middle and I open my mouth immediately, "Where were you going yesterday?" I blurt out at the same time she says, "What were you doing in the graveyard!" She says it more like a question than a statement, though.

"Oh, sorry..." I say, still the pushover that Beatrice said I was...

Neither of us say anything for a moment, then Greg speaks up. "Hi! I'm Gregory and this is my brother Wirt. Who are you?"

She seems taken aback by the straightforward question.

"I-I'm Wren..." She says, stammering a little. "and I was going to the Unknown.."

___________________________

Was that too straightforward or too fast? When Wren gets really nervous she just blurts out the truth... I really, really appreciate suggestions & constructive criticism!!

Thanks for reading!!

~Goat xxx