Chapter 6

~Wirt~

•••

She got away. I don't know who she is or why she was on the wall, but knowing someone was there brings me mixed feelings. Maybe she knows about the unknown, but then again maybe she was just messing around. What if the unknown isn't even real? The thought of it haunts me at night sometimes...I can't bear the thought of all of that just being a dream or a hallucination or whatever other "logical" excuse the doctors come up with!

When Greg and I were in the Unknown, we wanted nothing more than to get home, and now I'm feeling myself want go back... it's distressing, really. I can't even continue to think about this...

I lay in my bed, not ready for tomorrow to come just yet, refusing to fall asleep although my exhaustion threatens to get the best of me. Tomorrow is school, again. Thinking of school makes me sure I need to get back to the Unknown. The Unknown...where safety is never constant, where Greg and I are heroes and pilgrims, where Beatrice lives, where frogs ride ferries, where horses talk....I feel myself getting carried away in thought...my eyelids droop. I'm so tired....

Nearly asleep, I whisper to myself, not a poem, but a song, a song I've heard before... "Come, wayward souls, who wander through the darkness. There is a light for the lost and the meek. Sorrow and fear are easily forgotten, when you submit to the soil of the earth."