Chapter 12

~Wirt~

•••

She just ran off, just like that. So we chase her. It wouldn't be the first time.

I've got a fair guess where she's going, so we run after her. Soon we reached the gates of Eternal Garden cemetery, and walked through them.

We spotted her quickly, her red sweater sticking out among the grey tombstones. She's sitting in an area of close-together headstones, leaning on one of them. Actually, she seems to be talking to it, although she's staring up into the slightly cloudy sky.

Greg walks up behind me, panting quietly from trying to keep up with me. He opens his mouth to say something but I quickly shush him.

"Greg, quick!" I whisper, motioning for him to follow me. I sneak around the stones until we get close enough to hear what she's saying.

"...and I couldn't even say anything, I just froze! The only people I will probably ever meet who could help find Adel, and I blew it, Mom, I blew it!!" She says, and you can hear the tears in her voice. Then she collapses onto the stone, hugging it and sobbing. Through her tears she mumbles something. "It's all my fault. She may as well be dead..."

I have no clue what to make of this, but apparently Greg thinks he knows what to do, and before I can stop him he walks over to her and pats her on the back. She looks up, her face shining as tears roll down her cheeks.

"Why did you follow me?" She asks, sniffing.

"I dunno. Wirt followed you and I followed Wirt!" Greg responds.

"Uh...Wren..." I say, standing up from behind the stone I'm crouching behind. I stand there awkwardly for a moment while the other two stare at me and then, realizing I started a statement, I stutter over a few random words before just saying quietly, "C'mon, Greg, we should just go. I shouldn't have followed her."

As I start to walk away, I hear a voice call out, "Wait!"

I turn around, surprised as Wren gets up and walks towards me and Greg.

"I-I..." she stops speaking then sighs, "I need help getting back to the unknown."