Chapter 9

~Wren~

•••

I turn down a long hallway then another until I reach room 647, my English class and also my last class of the day! I walk in with a group of students coming from the opposite direction. There's only one person in the room already, and it's not even the teacher. It's a boy with messy dark brown hair, sitting in the third row. I sit down behind him as he pulls out a notebook and scribbles something in it. I peek over his shoulder, curious what he's writing. It's written like a poem, but it's not. It's a song, a song I know by heart. The song of the beast.

Come, wayward souls, who wander through the darkness. There is a light for the lost and the meek. Sorrow and fear are easily forgotten, when you submit to the soil of the earth.

This guy knows something about the unknown...he has to, how else would he have heard the beast's song?

The bell rings, and I dig through my bag, looking for my English homework but instead, I find a crumpled up ball of paper sitting at the bottom of my bag. I open it, then let out a frustrated sigh, causing the guy in front of me to look back at me as I smooth out the charcoal drawing. It's the one I made of the beast. The boy gawks at the picture for a second or so then turns back to the front of the room as the teacher walks in.

I but that's all it took, that expression...he's the boy from the wall!